How to Fix Rec 709 Colour Flicker?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
user783
New User

How to Fix Rec 709 Colour Flicker?

Post by user783 »

Description of problem or question:

I have some videos recorded on various android phones that I want to import into iCloud Photos, it seems the videos are encoded with the wrong colorspace (I think rec2020), they will display absurdly saturated colors when viewed on iPhone or Mac. I, therefore, have tried converting them to rec709 and on some videos I have been happy with the result, the colors are much more 'realistic'. The issue is that on some videos there is a 'flicker' where random frames seem to show as rec2020. I have the frame rate option set to 'same as source' with variable frame rate ticked.

Are there any suggestions for what may be causing this issue and how I would fix it?

Here is an example, the file with rec709 at the end of the filename is the converted file, you can see it displays a flicker. The other file is the source file.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.7.3 (2024021100)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS 14.3.1 (23D60)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I have not added an activity log as I believe the issue is most likely some setting that I am not aware of rather than a bug or issue of that nature.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: How to Fix Rec 709 Colour Flicker?

Post by Ritsuka »

Can you share a sample file we can use to reproduce the issue?