Is this speed is normal? [NEWBIE]

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
colethegamer

Is this speed is normal? [NEWBIE]

Post by colethegamer »

Description of problem or question:
Im totally newbie in the area of transcoding and using HandBrakeCLI. I just want to know if this speed is normal.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
flatpak run --command=HandBrakeCLI fr.handbrake.ghb --input "$video_file" --output "$subfolder/tmp_video_file.mkv" --encoder x264 --quality 22 --rate 30 --audio 1 --aencoder av_ac3 --subtitle-default 1 --srt-codeset UTF-8 --srt-file "$subtitle_file"

My goal: Transcode the video file into h264 with some normal quality and use AC3 audio and add a default subtitle from .srt file with UT8 coding.
Its working perfectly but it takes about 30-40 minute to do a 2 hour long movie.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

HandBrake 1.7.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Ubuntu 20.04

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Hardware:
48 CPU x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650L v3 @ 1.80GHz
132GB RAM
260TB Storage
No video card
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Is this speed is normal? [NEWBIE]

Post by Ritsuka »

Yes, the issue is that your cpu has so many cores, but video encoding can't scale too well to more than 12 cores anyway.
colethegamer

Post by colethegamer »

colethegamer

Post by colethegamer »

Ritsuka wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:57 am Yes, the issue is that your cpu has so many cores, but video encoding can't scale too well to more than 12 cores anyway.
Thanks for your answer, just another quick question in that case. Can I start multiple in the same time?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The GTK GUI doesn't support multiple parallel encodes yet, it has been implemented only on Windows and macOS at the moment.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Ritsuka wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:08 am The GTK GUI doesn't support multiple parallel encodes yet, it has been implemented only on Windows and macOS at the moment.
But if you use the CLI (as you did in your example encode above), you can start as many instances as you like.
colethegamer

Post by colethegamer »

A few guy told me who are using the same server from the same provider, they can go up to 3min / movie. Is it possible with this hardware somehow? I cannot find a solution to that. Thank you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

colethegamer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:43 pm A few guy told me who are using the same server from the same provider, they can go up to 3min / movie. Is it possible with this hardware somehow? I cannot find a solution to that. Thank you.
For super fast encodes they are probably using a hardware encoder:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.7.0/tech ... mance.html