Old 2002 era home-made DVDs are not fully read

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
steheap

Old 2002 era home-made DVDs are not fully read

Post by steheap »

I created some DVDs in around 2002 with the Adobe product that was around at the time. They have multiple chapters that are accessed from a menu, although it was also set up to play the whole movie from end to end. When I put the DVD in a DVD player, I can access all the chapters and also play the whole movie. It is about 90 minutes long.

Every attempt I have made to rip the DVD and create a video file from it, has failed. I can always rip the first chapter or scene, but then it finishes. I have also tried commercial programs like [Removed Dubious Product Reference] DVD and get the same behavior. I have tried to play the DVD on my computer using VLC media player and it doesn't allow me to play beyond this first scene.

If I try to extract the ISO file, it runs smoothly for the first chapter and then slows to fix sector errors one by one, and continues for hours without completion.

I have several DVDs from this era and all have the same issues.

It seems like some standard existing in 2002 is still supported by DVD players but not by computer based systems perhaps.

Anyone else had this experience?

Steve
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Old 2002 era home-made DVDs are not fully read

Post by mduell »

Try ripping with an app intended for that purpose, like MakeMKV.
steheap

Post by steheap »

Thanks for that idea. I tried MakeMKV and got a failure with this error:
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL ASUS DRW-24B1ST j 1.11 L8D0CL010259' at offset '3836395520'
Backup failed

I can see I will be playing on the TV and filming that with my camera!

Steve
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You could also try something like imgburn, it’s old but can sometimes skip errors giving you a copy but with some missing parts.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If that fails, it might be possible to simply copy the VOB files and concatenate somehow as a last resort. But trying ImgBurn (and possibly the very old Windows-based DVD ripping software for which I forgot the name -- I think it has DVD in the name, anyone remember?) might be a better idea first.
steheap

Post by steheap »

I tried Imgburn - it creates a file until it gets to where (I think) the next chapter of the disc starts and then it fails with this error:
W 14:06:36 Failed to Read Sector 741344 - Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error. This is at the start of the second VoB. I tried two different DVDs of different plays I had recorded and it failed on both of them in the same way.
Funny that they play OK in a DVD player!
I did start to wonder if there is an issue with the DVD drive in my computer. This is all I have - but perhaps I will ask a friend to try to read them on a different computer.
I want to try to get the files from these DVDs before they finally fade away!
Steve
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

It could be that the DVDS are old and are failing. doenst mean no dvd player can read the data. It's possible your dvd drive you have may have trouble reading them. Try another dvd drive.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Rodeo wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:31 pm If that fails, it might be possible to simply copy the VOB files and concatenate somehow as a last resort. But trying ImgBurn (and possibly the very old Windows-based DVD ripping software for which I forgot the name -- I think it has DVD in the name, anyone remember?) might be a better idea first.
DVD Decrypter? Oldie but a goodie.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, thanks.
steheap

Post by steheap »

I rechecked that I could play these DVDs in a regular DVD player and all was good. I decided to buy one of the relatively cheap HDMI video convertors to try that approach. Only about $16 or so. I'll try with that tomorrow! It could be a poor drive on my PC, but I haven't managed to find an alternative to that yet. Thanks for all your help so far!