Handbrake Not Launching

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
JustAPoorBoy
New User

Handbrake Not Launching

Post by JustAPoorBoy »

Description of problem or question:
What it says on the tin, the program will not launch for some reason. I'm on Windows, installation should be easy as pie, but it just isn't working for some reason. I've tried both the installer and the good old-fashioned ZIP. I've looked through the "common problems", and thus have 1) restarted my computer, 2) installed three different versions of .NET Desktop Runtime (one the program linked me to when I first tried to launch it, one linked on the installation page, and the most recent version of it), and 3) uninstalled and reinstalled Handbrake several times over. Since the program never launched, there is no configuration data folder to delete. Trust me, I've checked. I scrolled through some forum pages to see if other people were having the same problem, but everyone who did had it fixed by installing the required version of .NET Desktop Runtime. I tried the links posted to fix their problem, but it did not fix mine.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I use the installer and try to launch the program, the loading icon appears for less than a second, and nothing happens. Task Manager doesn't even show a process opening for a second, let alone a program.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Handbrake 1.6.1, but I've tried using 1.6.0 and 1.5.1 as well, to no effect.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
Doesn't exist, the program never launched so there is no activity to log.

I am genuinely clueless as to what could be wrong. I hope it's not something simple, or at the very least not something obvious. Any ideas would be appreciated.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake Not Launching

Post by rollin_eng »

Does Windows log say anything?
olliebean
New User

Post by olliebean »

Maybe not the same issue as 1.5.1 works fine for me - but here is Windows Event Log entry I get from 1.6.1:

Code: Select all

Event 1026, .NET Runtime

Application: HandBrake.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.1423.7309
.NET Version: 6.0.14
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=6.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (0x80131040)
File name: 'PresentationFramework, Version=6.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer

Your install of .NET is corrupted. Try the link above. You might want to fully remove the installs first.
JustAPoorBoy
New User

Post by JustAPoorBoy »

s55 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:14 am https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer

Your install of .NET is corrupted. Try the link above. You might want to fully remove the installs first.
Yeah, I just had to uninstall and reinstall. That is... SO dumb. What is the point of there being a "repair" button if it doesn't repair anything? And why was the install corrupted?? What is different about this installation????
Problem's fixed. Thanks everybody.
andy-the-till-man

Post by andy-the-till-man »

I've had this in the past and sure enough it was net framework. This time however 1.5.1 works 1.6.1 doesn't. I too have done pretty much exactly the same as you. Though something MUST be retained somewhere on my pc as, after deleting the handbrake folder from program files, failing the 1.6.1. , then going back to 1.5.1. , it remembers my custom presets.
McDogger1955
New User

Post by McDogger1955 »

s55 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:14 am https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer

Thanks, s55. I had the problem with version 1.6.1 (64-bit). The install of .NET did the trick.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I experimented with XMedia Recode today. HandBrake was working fine yesterday, but something went wrong today. I have used XMedia previously to strip tags and subtitles from multiple files (by copying video and audio streams), and have had no problems. Today I used it to encode an x265 video from an x264. When I attempted to make a HandBrake encode for comparison, HandBrake wouldn't launch.

Does anyone know whether XMedia Recode can corrupt the .NET?