Handbrake batch fails but regular handbrake works; log is minimal

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DeputyDawg

Handbrake batch fails but regular handbrake works; log is minimal

Post by DeputyDawg »

Description of problem or question:
Trying to convert avi and mkv files to mp4 via HBbatch, which has worked flawlessly for years. The files immediately finished. I noticed there was a log file which doesn't tell much (see below)

If I use regular handbrake (1 at a time) it works fine. I noted the settings for regular HB:
Video Codec H.264 (x264). On HBBatch I don't see this (just a list of Apple tv, apple tv2, etc

I have several files to convert. Would be nice to use HB batch

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Launch HB batch, drag file into app press start
HB batch: Version 2.25 (2.25)
Regular HB: Version 0.9.6 x86_64 (2012022800)

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mac OS Big Sur 11.7.3

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

output of log shown below - not in the folder mentioned in the link above. Logs were in the same folder as source file

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
[16:24:10] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.10.0 (2014112200) - Darwin x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
6 CPUs detected
Opening /Users/Paul/Desktop/Star Trek Strange New Worlds 1x04 Memennto Mori.avi...
[16:24:10] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz
[16:24:10] - logical processor count: 6
[16:24:10] OpenCL device #1: AMD AMD Radeon Pro 580X Compute Engine
[16:24:10] - OpenCL version: 1.2
[16:24:10] - driver version: 1.2 (Jan 5 2023 20:14:46)
[16:24:10] - device type: GPU
[16:24:10] - supported: YES
[16:24:10] hb_scan: path=/Users/Paul/Desktop/Star Trek Strange New Worlds 1x04 Memennto Mori.avi, title_index=1
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake batch fails but regular handbrake works; log is minimal

Post by s55 »

Please ask the HandBrake Batch author for support. It's a 3rd party app not developed by us and not something we support.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Both versions mentioned are wildly out of date - going on a decade.

Also upgrade to tdarr, it's the replacement for/evolution of HBB.
DeputyDawg

Post by DeputyDawg »

Thanks, i'm sure its OLD. But its always worked for what I needed it for

I last used it maybe 2-3 weeks ago, no issues. No updates to macOS

I looked at Tdarr, and clueless how to use it.

Any simply GUI apps to do basic conversation of avi or mkv to MP4?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

DeputyDawg wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 am Any simply GUI apps to do basic conversation of avi or mkv to MP4?
Errrrr Handbrake.
DeputyDawg

Post by DeputyDawg »

first of all curious why out of the blue HBB no longer works. Last conversation was 2-3 weeks ago or so - no updates
Seems to Immediately stop with nothing helpful in log (see above)

Yes I can use HB. But when doing MANY files at once, its tedious and time consuming.

Is there any batch video conversion. FREE is nicer but willing to pay if its not outrageous cost.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

DeputyDawg wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 am I looked at Tdarr, and clueless how to use it.

There indeed appears to be a to be a learning curve, but might be worth looking into it. Otherwise, you could always learn using a shell (Terminal) and scripting and use HandBrakeCLI and/or ffmpeg directly. It's difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it, you may also get a better general understanding of what's actually going on :-)

DeputyDawg wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:45 pm first of all curious why out of the blue HBB no longer works. Last conversation was 2-3 weeks ago or so - no updates
Seems to Immediately stop with nothing helpful in log (see above)

The problem is, with the useless output, we're also clueless as to why it doesn't work.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

We can't say what you changed or what HBB is doing.

I'd recommend taking a few minutes to figure out tdarr before you pay for something.
aronchi
New User

Post by aronchi »

I'm sorry, but I didn't find any way to add multiple source file to be converted in batch. I can add multiple files in queue, but I cannot add a list of files to the queue without taking one by one.

It should be very useful to convert a directory with multiple videos of the same format.
Is it possible?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

aronchi wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:34 am I'm sorry, but I didn't find any way to add multiple source file to be converted in batch. I can add multiple files in queue, but I cannot add a list of files to the queue without taking one by one.

It should be very useful to convert a directory with multiple videos of the same format.
Is it possible?
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.6.0/advanced/queue.html
aronchi
New User

Post by aronchi »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:04 pm
aronchi wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:34 am I'm sorry, but I didn't find any way to add multiple source file to be converted in batch. I can add multiple files in queue, but I cannot add a list of files to the queue without taking one by one.

Is it possible?
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.6.0/advanced/queue.html
My problem was I cannot add multiple files as sources. I solved adding an entire directory, selecting the dir. I the file selection dialog is not possible to select multiple files, but you can add an entire folder. The problem is I have in this folder also JPG, and handbrake imports also them. Solved moving my videos in a different folder, selecting the folder in handbrake. It's not intuitive, but it works great. I had 22 files and it was tedious to add them one by one.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

JPG files can be movies I believe. Does handbrake treat JPG files as a single frame movie?