Retain encoding progress of a file upon exit

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hbuser21

Retain encoding progress of a file upon exit

Post by hbuser21 »

A useful option to have would be to be able to retain the encoding progress when the program closes (i.e. Pass 1, 73%) and continue from there next time it starts (could ask for a confirmation perhaps). Does anybody know if this is a feature in a todo list? Does it perhaps require too much work or are there technical difficulties which might make it too difficult to implement?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Retain encoding progress of a file upon exit

Post by rollin_eng »

I believe you can pause an encode.
hbuser21

Post by hbuser21 »

Yes you can, but when you exit and reload HB, you have to reset this encode in the queue in order to be processed. This means start from the beginning...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's not possible to resume after quitting the application; too much data in RAM that cannot be serialized. If you really need to pause an encode, then you cannot quit HandBrake, logout or reboot your computer.
Seppo
New User

Post by Seppo »

On the topic: I have some high definition videos that I'd like to get compressed. The problem is that the estimated encoding time is about 6 days. The last time I tried to encode that video ended in a bluescreen caused by a different app while the actual encode was paused. It's hard to not use a computer for a week in fear of a crash and I cannot afford a dedicated Threadripper just for encoding. I do have a Raspberry Pi, but that would take 6 years :wink:

I could just drop the quality in order to make the encode faster, but I wonder if it would hurt the visible quality too much. Any tips on encoder settings would be appreciated, the video is comparable to normal, lengthy, high resolution, higly detailed film, but there is no noise.

PS. I'm encoding a video right now and HandBrake uses less RAM than this browser that I'm using to write this message.
Rodeo314
Novice

Post by Rodeo314 »

Please start your own topic and share your current encoding settings and hardware.