Strong intra smoothing on new computer

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
JayMarks40

Strong intra smoothing on new computer

Post by JayMarks40 »

Been using handbrake for years, just upgraded to an i9 13900K computer and noticed different behavior on this new computer versus two others all with the same handbrake version 1.6.1

I first noticed because the output file size was more than double from what it was on my old computer. I determined it was the video portion. I noticed that when I select preset 4k 60fps on my new computer, it automatically has h265 10 bit selected. It also has strong intra smoothing and some other text entered in the advanced options block under the video tab. This is different than on multiple older computers that do not have H265 10-bit selected when using this same 4k 60fps preset. When I change it to h265 10-bit, it does not enter anything in the advance options block.

I'm just wondering why the different behavior with the exact same software version?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Strong intra smoothing on new computer

Post by Woodstock »

Different settings will give different results.

Seeing the encode logs from the two sets of settings would be helpful. You've described one set, but not shown them.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

May be you didn't update the presets when you updated HB.
JayMarks40

Post by JayMarks40 »

Presets are default and are the same. MKV 4K 60fpm selected and modified to my liking in both cases. After noticing the difference between computers I tried running it from a flash drive with a fresh handbrake download version 1.6.1. so I know it's the exact same default preset.

My two windows 10 computers have h265 as default with strong intra smoothing code in the options block which clears if I select h265 10 bit.(this is what I always used along with changes to other settings)

My new Windows 11 computer defaults to h265 10 bit with the same preset as above. It has the strong intra smoothing code installed in the options block. I know I can just delete this code from the block and it behaves exactly like I'm used to. I just want to know why it's setting things up differently? I don't know what logs I can provide because there are no logs generated at this point. I'm just trying to explain what it's doing. I know why the output results are different if I leave this code in the block, I just want to know why it's behaving differently with windows 11?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

For starters, there is no built-in preset called "4K 60fps" specifically. It would help to know the ***exact*** name of the preset you're using.
JayMarks40

Post by JayMarks40 »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:37 am For starters, there is no built-in preset called "4K 60fps" specifically. It would help to know the ***exact*** name of the preset you're using.
H.265 MKV 2160p60 4k under Matroska built in presets
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Presets have been reworked for the 1.6 release, it could be the built-in were not updated properly on one of your computers. There should be a Preset -> Reset built-in presets menu item.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The preset's advanced options changed in https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/commit/f81d7da2 to match the other 4K presets added in https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/commit/34bdddea

The switch to the 10-bit encoder probably makes little difference overall.

"strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:aq-mode=1" was always part of the preset (even before the change)

"rd=4:psy-rd=0.75:psy-rdoq=4.0:rdoq-level=1:rskip=2" on the other hand, probably explains why the encode size can double for some sources.

Having not been very active in HandBrake development for a while, I do not know the rationale behind those changes, sorry.
JayMarks40

Post by JayMarks40 »

Ritsuka wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:29 am Presets have been reworked for the 1.6 release, it could be the built-in were not updated properly on one of your computers. There should be a Preset -> Reset built-in presets menu item.
I will check that out but after I noticed the difference between computers, on my old computer I downloaded a another fresh copy of handbrake and put it on a flash drive. Then moving that flash drive between computers and loading handbrake off the flash drive, it still behaved different on the new computer compared to the 2 old ones.

Also not sure why on my 2 older Windows 10 computers, when I select the MKV H265 2160p 60 4k preset, it will have h265 selected in the video tab and fast speed, while on the new Windows 11 computer, selecting the same preset selects h265 10-bit and slow speed. They can be changed easily but this is my whole point that they don't behave the same. (Which is as intended and correct?) H265 10-bit is what I use and I've never seen it pre-selected using this preset on my older computers, even with the current version of handbrake on them. Changes over time with different revisions of handbrake would be understandable but this is the same exact file of handbrake. Older computers always have and still do select just h265 which I've always changed to 10-bit. I need to just make my own preset, this issue isn't really a problem, unless it should be acting identical on all versions of windows and hardware configurations.
JayMarks40

Post by JayMarks40 »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:33 am The preset's advanced options changed in https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/commit/f81d7da2 to match the other 4K presets added in https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/commit/34bdddea

The switch to the 10-bit encoder probably makes little difference overall.

"strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:aq-mode=1" was always part of the preset (even before the change)

"rd=4:psy-rd=0.75:psy-rdoq=4.0:rdoq-level=1:rskip=2" on the other hand, probably explains why the encode size can double for some sources.

Having not been very active in HandBrake development for a while, I do not know the rationale behind those changes, sorry.
Looks like the new computer is setting up correctly with the new updated preset. Not sure why the fresh handbrake download doesn't set up the same under that preset on the old computers. Doesn't really matter, I'm not going to be using the old computer anymore anyways. Probably had something to do with updating the presets like you guys are talking about. Although one of the old computers never had handbrake and I just installed it for comparison and there is that whole other copy on the flash drive which is freshly downloaded also so not sure why these wouldn't have the newest updates to the profiles.
JayMarks40

Post by JayMarks40 »

"strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:aq-mode=1" was always part of the preset (even before the change)"

H265 used to be selected before the preset change with this code present in the options block yes. It cleared when you selected 10-bit.