Handbreak ffmpeg encode vs decode speed

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
richardferrym

Handbreak ffmpeg encode vs decode speed

Post by richardferrym »

I'm encoding videos in x265 to save same storage (Gopro, DJI, etc.). This is working well for me with Handbreak and I got some good CRF values for my use cases.

My question is about the encoding preset. The slower it is the better Qualitiy per Bitrate you get, but the encoding time increases.

But how the decoding time. Does it also consume more CPU power to watch (decode) a video which was created with a slow prestet then a fast preset?
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbreak ffmpeg encode vs decode speed

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

richardferrym wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:52 am But how the decoding time. Does it also consume more CPU power to watch (decode) a video which was created with a slow prestet then a fast preset?
Very slightly, when decoding happens on the CPU and said CPU is weak. In 2023 most every device/player will be using some sort of hardware-accelerated video decoding so it's a non-issue in practice.

Also, even if you have an old device without hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding and a weak CPU (say, an old NAS), decoding would be too slow anyway regardless of preset (something encoded with a slower preset might decode slower than something encoded with a fast preset, but that's irrelevant since neither would decode fast enough to provide usable results-- less unwatchable is still unwatchable).
richardferrym

Re: Handbreak ffmpeg encode vs decode speed

Post by richardferrym »

Rodeo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:20 am
richardferrym wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:52 am But how the decoding time. Does it also consume more CPU power to watch (decode) a video which was created with a slow prestet then a fast preset?
Very slightly, when decoding happens on the CPU and said CPU is weak. In 2023 most every device/player will be using some sort of hardware-accelerated video decoding so it's a non-issue in practice.

Also, even if you have an old device without hardware-accelerated HEVC decoding and a weak CPU (say, an old NAS), decoding would be too slow anyway regardless of preset (something encoded with a slower preset might decode slower than something encoded with a fast preset, but that's irrelevant since neither would decode fast enough to provide usable results-- less unwatchable is still unwatchable).
well , thanks for the explanation