Best settings (or preset) for ripping home movies

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tywahn75

Best settings (or preset) for ripping home movies

Post by tywahn75 »

Description of problem or question:
I have home movies that I created in iDVD years ago and would like to truly digitize them to .mp4
What settings (or presets) do you recommend to get just an exact copy of the DVDs?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacOS Ventura 13.0

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Re: Best settings (or preset) for ripping home movies

Post by Lostless »

I use the 480p preset. either the standard or the high quality one. I find the HQ one gives just a tinge more detail that you may want to keep. But encode time will take longer.
If the footage was from VHS, high 8, DV, or any other interlaced source, you may want to turn on bob deinterlacing and change the frame rate to same as source. Or make it a constant 59.94. This will help retain the feel of the smooth rate of the original footage.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Use makemkv if you want an exact copy.
tywahn75

Post by tywahn75 »

Lostless wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:15 pm I use the 480p preset. either the standard or the high quality one. I find the HQ one gives just a tinge more detail that you may want to keep. But encode time will take longer.
If the footage was from VHS, high 8, DV, or any other interlaced source, you may want to turn on bob deinterlacing and change the frame rate to same as source. Or make it a constant 59.94. This will help retain the feel of the smooth rate of the original footage.
Thank you so much for the reply. The original footage was from a Sony 8 DV. I am not sure how to turn on bob deinterlacing, I can do the rest. I appreciate your help.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

Not at my computer, but to the right where you choose your deinterlacing type, should say decomb, there is a menu to select how. Select bob