Want simple settings just for class recording - quick, dirty and fast

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
meteor

Want simple settings just for class recording - quick, dirty and fast

Post by meteor »

Description of problem or question:
I'm trying to convert large videos to reduce files sizes of several classroom videos from a zoom class. They don't need to be large or crisp. Semi blurry is Ok. I just don't want them to use up so much storage space. I've been aiming for something around 640x360 and mono. Do any presents come close to my goals? I'm not sure which one to pick. I've tried creating my own preset but I'm not sure if it's really the best way to approach this.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

for mac 1.5.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Mac OS Mojave
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Want simple settings just for class recording - quick, dirty and fast

Post by mduell »

Fast 480p as a starting point. Drop audio bitrate and increase video RF as desired.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Want simple settings just for class recording - quick, dirty and fast

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If there's any text, it'll look super bad at 640x360 to even 480p. Perhaps 720p (1280x720) with a low quality setting (e.g. RF 28 if using the x264 or x265 encoders) would work better.

Thus I would start with the Fast 720p30 preset (or Very Fast 720p30) and adjust the constant quality slider as required (you might want to do a few quick tests of your own to find which constant quality RF setting suits you).