Incredibly Slow Performance on macOS 13.2

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
southerndoc

Incredibly Slow Performance on macOS 13.2

Post by southerndoc »

Description of problem or question:

When encoding H.265 (or any other format), I'm getting only 1-2 and sometimes <1 fps using a Mac Studio M1 Max with 64GB of memory. I can use VideoToolbox, but the quality is much worse.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS 13.2
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Incredibly Slow Performance on macOS 13.2

Post by Ritsuka »

Please post the activity logs of your encodes.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Some of the encoders are indeed quite slow on Apple Silicon, like AV1.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I'll post after the next encode.

Out of curiosity, the VideoToolbox has an option for regular H.265 and H.265 10-bit. What is the bit of regular H.265? In other words, would H.265 10-bit offer higher quality? I set the CQ of VideoToolbox to 75 and it appears much higher quality than the default of 20 (?) I believe it is.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I was able to get better results by moving the encoder options to medium (it was on very slow before).

Is there a way to automatically select all subtitle/CC tracks and NOT have it default to "burned in" checked?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Default is 8 bit. Marginally better banding handling when it's a problem, incredibly marginally better compression efficiency maybe. The quality scales are different between the different encoders. Yes configure the subtitle defaults the way you want them, provide subs compatible with your choice of output container, and don't choose burned in.