Large File Size HVEC

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Mortaliton

Large File Size HVEC

Post by Mortaliton »

Cheers All

I'm new to using handbrake and I'm currently converting over a Plex Library. Currently the files are in various forms but primarily in H.264 MP4/MKV.

The particular example I'm using is a 45 Minute TV show. In it's current form is 9.5 Gb

It is converted with H.265 10-bit (NVenc). 1080P. Audio quality 5. Constant Quality 0. After the conversion it is 6.5 Gb which seems very large for a 1080p video.

Yes I know compression. I have tried many tests. Including cranking the RF up to 28 and the file size is only reduced by 100MB

If I convert with Average bitrate. 1000 is about 800 MB, 2000 is about 900 MB. 5000 is about 5 GB. Once I get below 5k this particular video seems to loose a lot of detail.

I have tried the HVEC without Nvidia boost. Takes about 3 hours a conversion, granted I'm doing 2 at a time. 2 pass, one with turbo first pass and the other without. Both these files are 800 MB but they stutter horribly. Almost like it is 1 FPS.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated. I have a significant amount of server space so I do prefere lossless or close to it. But my target is 1.5 gigs per 45 min episode at 30fps 1080p. I just haven't been able to find a solution that doesn't tank the quality or create a large file size. I had used [Removed Dubious Product Reference] previously but for some reason while converting it adds stutter to every one of my videos but it does keep fantastic quality while reducing the file size. Roughly 800MB.

Thank You
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Large File Size HVEC

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Mortaliton

Post by Mortaliton »

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Post the log from your stuttery software encode.

The hardware encodes needing a lot of size for decent quality is no surprise.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Unfortunately you can’t have it all.

Speed. Quality. Size.

Pick 2 of them.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Mortaliton wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:31 am If I convert with Average bitrate. 1000 is about 800 MB, 2000 is about 900 MB. 5000 is about 5 GB.
The math doesn't add up here. Given the source in your log (about 5305 seconds), 5000 Kbps plus audio (385 Kbps in this case, it seems) should give you about 3.57 GB / 3.33 GiB (although I suppose it's possible NVENC overshoots the bitrate, but given the duration and audio, that would be about 7000 Kbps, so a 2 Mbps overshoot over 1.5 hours is still huge).

I think you need to start by being better organized, your log is titled "HVEC RF 0 Slow" but the encode is configured for average bitrate 1000 Kbps. You also say we're dealing with a 45-minute TV episode, but your log shows you encoding a source about twice that length.

https://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/videocalc.html
With a target of 1.5 GB for 45 minutes and assuming an average audio bitrate of 400 Kbps, you're looking at 4000 Kbps for the video; if that's not enough for NVENC, well, you either have to live with using higher bitrates (1.84 GB for 45 minutes at 5000 + 400 Kbps, 2.17 GB at 6000 + 400, 2.51 GB at 7000 + 400 Kbps) or use the software encoder, for which there are many speed presets (maybe try veryfast, faster or fast).

Regarding your stutter issue, we need to see the corresponding encode log, and also, to know what you are using for playing HandBrake's output.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Also:

Code: Select all

[16:45:31]  * audio track 1
[16:45:31]    + name: English
[16:45:31]    + decoder: English (AAC LC) (2.0 ch) (192 kbps) (track 1, id 0x1)
[16:45:31]      + bitrate: 192 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
[16:45:31]    + mixdown: Stereo
[16:45:31]    + encoder: AAC (libavcodec)
[16:45:31]      + quality: 5.00, samplerate: 48000 Hz
Your source is already AAC, you're re-encoding it (losing quality, if only very little) while doubling the size of the audio track. You should really use AAC Passthru ;-)
Mortaliton

Post by Mortaliton »

Currently running another test to figure out the two pass issue, it is running on my server so it's going to take a bit longer than my main PC. I am used to other programs where you do not put in the bitrate when you do two pass and automatically detects it. I'm curious if that was the issue, some running two files, one with a blank bitrate and the other one with an inputed bit rate.

I also enabled audio pass through, cheers for that. I did not put it in my current test so I can replicate my issue.

I am aware I cannot have everything in a perfect file and size is the trade off for me to have the best quality. I. Just trying to find the best options for a trade off that works for me. If massive files are the only option it is what it is. I'm running 32TB raid right now so I have half the capacity open still. I plan on building a larger server this year and increasing my redundancy from Raid 5 to 10.

I will follow up after my encodes are completed but the hardware is a fraction of the power vs my gaming PC. All it does is run game servers and a Plex Library.

I'll follow up later

Thank You for the input so far.
Mortaliton

Post by Mortaliton »

Well strangely enough after re running a few test runs on the server. I used it as well since that was the PC that created the stuttering videos. Everything is fine, videos play just fine.

The video with no bitrate with 2 pass was 800 MB, 2 pass with 3500 bit rate was 2.2Gb with slightly noticable degradation. Im going to continue to mess around with the bitrate itself instead of using the RF slider. The downside is it's not the Nvidia boosted so it takes a couple hours per video. Original video size is 8.87 Gb. Nvec boost file size is about 5.5Gb.

Honestly, I'll mess around with it more but the Nvec boost with increased file size might be my way to go just due to the massive video library I have. Long term I plan on AV1 but I'm waiting for more support to do more testing. That or buy a Intel card but that's a future issue. But it seems my original test was a glitch and I can't re create it under the same circumstances.

I got Audio passthrough on now but I'll be running a lot of tests to pinpoint.

Thank You for the input all
xunil76

Post by xunil76 »

just a tip for testing encoding settings without having to wait so long to see results: only encode a single chapter of your title at any given time.

when i test my encoding settings, i'll set both the start point & end point to Chapter 1, then cycle through each chapter (2/2, 3/3, etc) to see which chapter is the shortest in duration. then run your encode test on that chapter only and it will take FAR less time to encode, but you can still see the results of your tweaks to the settings. just run through each setting methodically, one at a time (and name your output files accordingly so you know which file is using what settings), and compare the results (file size, picture quality, playback smoothness, etc).

then once you settle on something that seems to work for you, change the chapters back so that it includes all of them for the final encode.

and don't forget to save your settings as custom preset(s) if you're not using the ones built-in to handbrake.