Handbrake 1.6.0 not opening

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
yoli

Handbrake 1.6.0 not opening

Post by yoli »

Description of problem or question:

Handbrake 1.6.0 is not opening at all on my machine.
Installer I used is HandBrake-1.6.0-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe

Note that Handbrake 1.5.1 was working fine with no problem. After I had the issue with 1.6, I uninstalled it, reinstalled 1.5.1 and the latter is still working fine. Problem is only with 1.6.0.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I double click the .exe and nothing happens.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10.0.19045 build 19045

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

There is no activity logs. The folder "HandBrake" has not been created inside "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\" (yes I replaced Username with username of the account I am using).
el-nebu

Re: Handbrake 1.6.0 not opening

Post by el-nebu »

You have to install .NET 6.0 Desktop Runtime to work with 1.6.0

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/down ... -installer
yoli

Post by yoli »

Thanks that fixed the problem!
But I really had no idea I had to do this. The app was not launching and there was no error message at all, this is amazing, how are we supposed to know what the problem is?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yoli. There is infact an error message but that can only work if your system doesn't have a corrupted install of .NET already on it.

Unfortunately you and a few other seem to have had a pre-existing broken install on the system. There isn't much we can do about that.