Best system to use for Handbrake 1.6

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Jetkwon

Best system to use for Handbrake 1.6

Post by Jetkwon »

Description of problem or question:
So i plan on converting my Media(Video) library from TS format to mp4 so I can use in Plex. Here's my question. I have 3 different systems to choose from. My goal is to use the fastest most efficient system to do this, that will yield the greatest results. I have over 1000+ .vob files to convert. I do not want to run all 3 riggs at the same time. Should I use CPU or GPU given the specs of the systems.

Thanks.

#1: HP Z600
Duel Xeon X5660 CPU's @ 2.8GHz
48Gig ECC memory
Nvidia Quadro M4000 @ 8GB
Win 10 Pro Workstation

#2 HP Z640
Xeon E5-1620 CPU @ 3.5GHz
32Gig memory
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 @ 6GB
Win 10 Pro Workstation

#3 HP Z4 G4
Xeon W-2125 CPU @ 4.0GHz
16Gig memory
Nvidia Quadro P4000 @ 8GB
Win 10 Pro Workstation

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Currently using the latest version 1.6

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Pro Workstation

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Re: Best system to use for Handbrake 1.6

Post by tlindgren »

Jetkwon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:06 pm Description of problem or question:
So i plan on converting my Media(Video) library from TS format to mp4 so I can use in Plex. Here's my question. I have 3 different systems to choose from. My goal is to use the fastest most efficient system to do this, that will yield the greatest results. I have over 1000+ .vob files to convert. I do not want to run all 3 riggs at the same time. Should I use CPU or GPU given the specs of the systems.
For CPU encoding the W-2125 should easily win, it's very slow by modern standards but the other ones are even worse.

For GPU encoder the 1060 and P4000 both use Nvidia's 6th generation (Pascal) video encoder, so they'll perform identically unless you run video filters that makes it CPU limited, in which case the W-2125 will easily win. The M4000 is the older 5th generation Nvidia video encoder so worse quality. The Pascal encoder should be reasonably fast but require much larger files than modern encoders to look good.

So W-2125/P4000 is clearly the "least bad" of these (I refuse to call it good), if you don't mind the much larger files it might be an option, but check (disk space can go away fast when you have many files).

Given that you mention 1000+ VOB it may make sense to actually buy a modern low-end GPU with modern GPU encoder, if you care about size at all I suspect you'll save more money on reduced electricity bills than the GPU will cost you!

If you want to go down that route you want one of:
  • Nvidia GTX 1650 Super (important that is the Super!)
  • GTX 1660
  • RTX 2060
  • RTX 3050
These all have Nvidia's 7th generation Video Encoder and for video encoding will perform exactly the same. Which one of these will be cheapest for you depends on where you are located and whether your looking at new or used hardware.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake's NVENC code does not support pre-Pascal hardware, so hardware-accelerated encoding is out on the M4000. Although, Pascal is still relatively old, newer cards would indeed offer better compression efficiency if you really want to go the hardware-accelerated route.

The CPUs are also indeed all pretty old, although being Desktop units they could still outperform some modern laptop units (at the expense of using roughly 4 to 8 times more electricity than a regular laptop, respectively an "ultrabook"). The W-2125 should indeed be the fastest one here.

I do hope you'e not thinking of buying those systems, they're somewhat obsolete and, depending on price, may not be cost-effective relative to lower-end but more modern setups.

Also, if you're actually buying and the system is to be dedicated exclusively to video encoding, then it may be a good idea to consider an Intel system with integrated graphics and Quick Sync Video, which should be no worse than NVENC and may be cheaper.
Jetkwon

Post by Jetkwon »

Thank you for your feedback's. I have had these riggs for some time (not buying them). Was thinking of how to repurpose them for something like this project. I do also have these:

Dell Precision 5760 (Laptop)
Xeon W-11955M @ 2.60Ghz
32Gig Mem
Nvidia RTX-A3000
windows 10 workstation

or

HP Zbook Studio G8 (Laptop)
Intel i9-11950H @ 2.60Ghz
32Gig Mem
Nvidia Geforce RTX3070
windows 10 workstation

Thanks for advice.
Jetkwon

Post by Jetkwon »

Could this also be why the play back quality of my MKV ripps looks so terrible ?
xunil76

Post by xunil76 »

Jetkwon wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:28 pm Thank you for your feedback's. I have had these riggs for some time (not buying them). Was thinking of how to repurpose them for something like this project. I do also have these:

Dell Precision 5760 (Laptop)
Xeon W-11955M @ 2.60Ghz
32Gig Mem
Nvidia RTX-A3000
windows 10 workstation

or

HP Zbook Studio G8 (Laptop)
Intel i9-11950H @ 2.60Ghz
32Gig Mem
Nvidia Geforce RTX3070
windows 10 workstation

Thanks for advice.
I do believe either of these 2 will blow those first 3 systems out of the water in terms of speed, especially if you're leveraging the hardware encoding that either the RTX 3070 or the Intel QuickSync in the laptop will allow you (these will be orders of magnitude faster than using CPU encoding on those other systems, especially as the resolution of the video increases).

but there's a very easy way to see what will give you the best results...instead of encoding the entire movie, just encode a single chapter (the shortest one available on any given title) on each system while using the same settings as much as possible...that will tell you 100% which will be best for your needs. then once you have your settings dialed in and know which system will work best for you, save it as a preset and load it onto the system you will be using to make it easy for applying it to batch encoding.