Subtitles for MKV encoded file don't display when playing via a Smart TV

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
molewart

Subtitles for MKV encoded file don't display when playing via a Smart TV

Post by molewart »

I've encoded a BD rip to MKV to reduce the file size but when I try play it through my Smart TV the subtitle option doesn't appear. When I play through my PC using VLC the subtitle options are there. :

HandBrake version 1.4.1:
Windows 10 Home 21H2:

I'm not posting the activity log because it has nothing to do with what I'm asking. It has encoded perfectly fine, just the subtitles don't display on my TV. I should also state that other videos I have downloaded that have subtitles attached work as normal on my TV so it must be the way I'm getting encoding the subtitles on Handbrake. I don't check any of the options like, Forced Only, Burn in or Default.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Subtitles for MKV encoded file don't display when playing via a Smart TV

Post by mduell »

Absent the information mentioned in bold underlined red text on a pink background, your best bet is to ask your TV manufacturer for support.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

TVs generally want the subtitles FLAGGED as "forced". MakeMKV does not do that except in certain very specific situations. Handbrake does not do generally. I've found that to get a TV to display subtitles, they have to be modified with mkvtoolnix's editor to set both "default" and "forced" flags on the subtitle you want.