Removing subtitles from X-Files episodes

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
txhardliner

Removing subtitles from X-Files episodes

Post by txhardliner »

Description of problem or question:
Trying to remove the subtitles when encoding X-Files episodes that are in m2ts format.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Open Handbrake
Select Folder
Select Folder
Scans the 4 files
Change preset to Super HQ
Change Video Encoder to H.264 (Nvidia NVEnc)
Add to Queue
Click Subtitles tab then click Clear on each file but when I go back to the file, Handbrake automatically re-adds the subtitle.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/PrUSuSgf
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Removing subtitles from X-Files episodes

Post by Ritsuka »

You should remove them before adding it to the queue.
txhardliner

Post by txhardliner »

Ritsuka wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 am You should remove them before adding it to the queue.
I did that. When I go to the next file, it puts them back on the file that I just removed them.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Add to Queue
Click Subtitles tab then click Clear on each file but when I go back to the file, Handbrake automatically re-adds the subtitle.
When you re-added them to the queue, did you take the subtitles out?

You describe adding them to the queue, THEN CHANGING WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, but not replacing them in the queue. Changing things does NOT change the queue, unless you REPLACE the entries.

Your change has to be made BEFORE YOU ADD THEM TO THE QUEUE, or when you REPLACE the entry in the queue with the new entry. You do not edit the queue to change what happens, you would be pulling the item from the queue, replacing its settings, then putting it back in the queue.
txhardliner

Post by txhardliner »

So here's what I do. Folder, Select Folder, now I see the 4 Titles in the Titles dropdown box. Change Preset to Super HQ 1080p30 Surround.

Change Video Encoder to H.264 (Nvidia NVEnc)

Select Title 1, Subtitles, Clear.
Select Title 2, Subtitles, Clear.
Select Title 3, Subtitles, Clear.
Select Title 4, Subtitles, Clear.

Now before I add these files to the Queue, I go back to Title 1 just to double check the subtitles have been removed and guess what? The subtitles have been automatically readded to Title 1. Why isn't this setting working?

Remember, I haven't added any of these titles to the Queue.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The handbrake client works on ONE FILE AT A TIME. When you select a different title, EVERYTHING KNOWN ABOUT THE PREVIOUS TITLE IS THROWN AWAY.

So your procedure is, "Select a title, make a change, then toss that change away when I select a different title".

Changes are only remembered when you add a title to the queue. You can add multiple titles to the queue, but they will take the saved values of the selected profile when the entry is built.

To do as you're intended, you will need to take the profile you want to use, make the changes to it, then save it under a different name. Load THAT named profile, then select the GROUP of titles you want to process, and tell handbrake to process them. Otherwise, the profile you want to use is reselected for each title loaded.

The profile you're using selects a specific subtitle set by default, so that's what is loaded. You need to create a version of that profile that select NO subtitles, and use it for the set.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 am The handbrake client works on ONE FILE AT A TIME. When you select a different title, EVERYTHING KNOWN ABOUT THE PREVIOUS TITLE IS THROWN AWAY.
IIRC the MacGUI is a bit smarter than that now, it keeps track of the changes relative to the preset on a per-file basis, so you don't lose them when switching titles (unless you specifically change/reload the preset, I cannot remember the exact behavior then). But relying on this behavior is not ideal anyway.

Edit: scratch that, I must have misremembered or something. (it may even be the WinGUI that does it, albeit partially; in the case of the OP it seems like possibly the change of video encoder is somehow remembered when switching titles?) (anyway, relying on this is likely to cause issues sooner or later, so better to assume everything gets reset when you switch titles anyway)

@txhardliner

first step:
(0) scan a file or folder
easy way:
(1) select base/starting preset

(2) make desired changes to preset, if any, for example:
- set encoder as desired
- change subtitle selection behavior via corresponding button and dialog

(3) save new preset with the changes (optional if you didn't make any changes to the original preset)

(4) add all titles to the queue at once using the corresponding menu item
or
(4) select title 1, check that everything is in order (if you configured the preset correctly, including e.g. changing the subtitle selection behavior, no changes should be required, so it's still quicker than the other way below), add title 1 to queue
(4) select title 2, check that everything is in order (if you configured the preset correctly, including e.g. changing the subtitle selection behavior, no changes should be required, so it's still quicker than the other way below), add title 2 to queue
[…]
(4) select title N, check that everything is in order (if you configured the preset correctly, including e.g. changing the subtitle selection behavior, no changes should be required, so it's still quicker than the other way below), add title N to queue
other way:
(1) select base/starting preset

(2) select title 1, make desired changes (e.g. change video encoder, clear output subtitle list), add title 1 to queue
(2) select title 2, make desired changes (e.g. change video encoder, clear output subtitle list), add title 2 to queue
[…]
(2) select title N, make desired changes (e.g. change video encoder, clear output subtitle list), add title N to queue
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Anyway, the important things to know/remember:

- once a title has been added to the queue, any changes made in the UI have no effect on the settings that will be used for the already-queued item

- when switching titles without adding the current title to the queue first, any changes made to the settings for that title are indeed forgotten (HandBrake goes back to the unmodified preset)

- by configuring a and saving a new preset, the changes are automatically made for you when you select another title from the list (so you can select each title, simply check that everything is in order and add said title to the queue, move on to the next title etc.) whereas if you stick with the original preset, you need to make all the changes manually to each title before adding it to the queue

- once you're familiar with how HandBrake presets work ( there is a bit of a learning curve, although it is documented at https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.5.0/adva ... esets.html ), you can make use of the "Add all titles to queue" feature without having to double check the final settings for each title before adding it to the queue individually
txhardliner

Post by txhardliner »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 am The handbrake client works on ONE FILE AT A TIME. When you select a different title, EVERYTHING KNOWN ABOUT THE PREVIOUS TITLE IS THROWN AWAY.

So your procedure is, "Select a title, make a change, then toss that change away when I select a different title".

Changes are only remembered when you add a title to the queue. You can add multiple titles to the queue, but they will take the saved values of the selected profile when the entry is built.

To do as you're intended, you will need to take the profile you want to use, make the changes to it, then save it under a different name. Load THAT named profile, then select the GROUP of titles you want to process, and tell handbrake to process them. Otherwise, the profile you want to use is reselected for each title loaded.

The profile you're using selects a specific subtitle set by default, so that's what is loaded. You need to create a version of that profile that select NO subtitles, and use it for the set.
Thank you. That did it.