AV1

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
ITgreybeard
Experienced

AV1

Post by ITgreybeard »

Description of problem or question:
I "hear tell" of AV1 in connection with Handbrake but fail to see much evidence of it. Can someone attempt to enlighten me? I would like to try out generating AV1 media in addition to continuing my h.265 mp4 archivals.

HW varies between various platforms, 8 to 16 threads each. Workstation has Nvidia gtx 1650, base laptop has Intel HD graphics, carry laptop has AMD graphics. Not necessarily looking for HW encode unless required; cpu fine.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.5.1 standard download

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Pro w latest updates

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
N/A

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: AV1

Post by rollin_eng »

I think the nightly build has support for AV1, not sure if it’s hardware or software.

Download it and see.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There is hardware support for Intel Arc in the development shapshots and software encoding support via SVT-AV1

Intel UHD graphic is not supported as it doesn't contain the AV1 hardware needed. Same with the GTX1650. It doesn't support it.

Nvidia 4000 series have an AV1 encoder but we don't yet support this. (Hopefully some day)
The latest 7000series AMD GPU's as well but same as Nvidia, we don't yet support it. (Hopefully some day)

You can however give the software encoder a go if you want. Just note it is rather slow.

https://github.com/handbrake/handbrake-snapshots
Davlee

Post by Davlee »

I got my Intel Arc 750 card installed last week.
It takes me a hour to rip a UHD blueray using makemkv.
Using Intel AV1 QSV 10-bit hardware encoding in Handbrake it takes me roughly 30 minutes to convert that 2 hour UHD bluray rip into a AV1 MKV file.