DVD not ripping

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rosede

DVD not ripping

Post by rosede »

Description of problem or question:

I have a few DVD's that just do not rip. My suspicion is a protection of some kind put in place, but I can't confirm that. I add the movie to the queue, click start queue and within seconds, the queue is finished without error.

Pastebin activity log provided.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.5.1 (2022011000)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/cRwuXHrb
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: DVD not ripping

Post by Woodstock »

You do realize that reading encoded DVDs is not a native function of handbrake, correct? Attempting to do so involves a third-party library.

Reading your log file indicates that the DVD-reading library is having trouble reading the disk. It probably needs cleaned.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try ripping with makemkv first.
rosede

Post by rosede »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:40 pm You do realize that reading encoded DVDs is not a native function of handbrake, correct? Attempting to do so involves a third-party library.
I did not know this. I learned of Handbrake from a friend and I was under the impression that I could us it for ripping DVD's. What third party library's does a person need?

Thanks

Daryl
rosede

Post by rosede »

rollin_eng wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:23 pm Try ripping with makemkv first.
I am trying makemkv now. Seems to work. Do you know if it includes surround sound?

Thanks

Daryl
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will include most everything if you ask it too. You can expand a track to see what's in it, and say yes/no to things within it.

AnyDVD can also do this stuff, although I haven't tried it.
rosede

Post by rosede »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:33 pm MakeMKV will include most everything if you ask it too. You can expand a track to see what's in it, and say yes/no to things within it.

AnyDVD can also do this stuff, although I haven't tried it.
Thank you. I just didn't look close enough before replying with my question. I actually have a commercial product that I've been using for years, but it does not do surround sound, only 2 channel. I like my action movies to be in surround sound, that was why I decided to switch to Handbrake, but it think this MakeMKV will work better for me.

Thank you for showing it to me.

Daryl
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Post by Silent_Strider »

rosede wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:02 pm I like my action movies to be in surround sound, that was why I decided to switch to Handbrake, but it think this MakeMKV will work better for me.
If you want to transcode the videos, you still will be in need of Handbrake, as MakeMKV is only a ripper, not a transcoder.