A way to send converted files back to source folders?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
brokenhanding

A way to send converted files back to source folders?

Post by brokenhanding »

Description of problem or question:

Hello all: Id like to kno if theres a wat to do my video conversions output functions in the following way. Id like to take a folder that has several folders within, which each have several videos within to be re-encoded or converted, and Id like to throw that top folder into the window/cue/etc of the app, and then have a setting where the outputed converted videos all land in the SAME folder, [ie the subfolders] that their source videos originated from. Does anyone know how Handbrake [or any app [for Mackbook pro’s], either free or paid] can do this?
Theres a Windows app called Pezarra that does this in the “output directory” dropdown menu as “The same as input file”. Its brilliant! But i need this function on my Mac. Thanks for any help!

Im on the updated Mac version of Handbrake. And 10.13 High Sierria
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: A way to send converted files back to source folders?

Post by rollin_eng »

You can’t do this in the GUI, but you can script the CLI to do this.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If the file ends up with a different file name than the source, you should be able to individually write the output file to the source directory. Except when the Mac tries to fight you... but it would fight any application that tries to write to the source directory.

If the output file has the same name as the source, you're looking at a problem. It has to be different when creating the output file, to prevent overwriting the source. And doing it "after the end" can cause problems if the output isn't correct; your bad output would replace you (hopefully!) good source file.

Doing this WITHIN handbrake is a problem.
brokenhanding

Post by brokenhanding »

rollin_eng wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:17 am You can’t do this in the GUI, but you can script the CLI to do this.
Can u point me to a source where i could learn how to do the scripting the CLI?