Various File Sizes

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DaveP

Various File Sizes

Post by DaveP »

I've been running Handbrake for some time. It's great. However, I was looking for a way to do the conversions in the background and now I have a NAS I found this great docker container Lesage/Handbrake, that gives me a remote GUI and a way to move the load onto my NAS. Thank you Lesage.

So set it up ran the conversions and it goes great. I'm happy with it.

In testing I noticed that on the NAS running the preset via the GUI gave me a different file size from running the same preset in the background via a watch directory. Not much but about 1K in a 1M file. So I did some tests. I found running Handbrake on the original Desktop GUI also gave me a different size. Again not a big difference but what I couldn't understand is running the GUI again to create a new one using exactly the same preset on exactly the same source gave me yet another file size. This I don't understand.

Anyone got any ideas? It's not a big deal to me but I would like to understand.

Regards,

Dave
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Various File Sizes

Post by rollin_eng »

Depending on your settings the file sizes can vary by a small amount.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Some encoders produce non-deterministic output with some settings.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I understand different presets giving different size but I've never heard of any program that will produce different output from exactly the same inputs. Clearly something causing the difference as it is a fact.

As the sizes are insignificant I'm not going to bother about it but I'll keep an eye out as this will nag me.

Thanks for your inputs. Much appreciated.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

We're not talking about different presets.
I've never heard of any program that will produce different output from exactly the same inputs
Hear about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondeterm ... _algorithm
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This is perfectly normal behaviour. Even with Identical input and settings.

While this doesn't apply to all encoders, you can expect to see very small variances in filesize run to run.

This is down to the multi-tasking nature of the system and multi-threaded nature of the encoders.
easyaspi3.14159265

Post by easyaspi3.14159265 »

I've found the file size to vary quite significantly for the same preset over time with no changes to my processor or graphics card on Windows 10.
Currently running Handbrake 1.5.1
For the same source file with settings:
Audio Passthru
Video Encoder: H.265 (Nvidia Nvenc Turing)
Quality: Constant Quality, Framerate: Same as source, Constant Framerate, Encoder Profile: Auto, Encoder level: Auto
10th August 2020, and an earlier version of Handbrake Video Encoder slider set at 22 produced a file size of 24,392,169,252 bytes
12th August 2022, Video Encoder slider set at 21 produced a file size of 21,865,281,292 bytes
12th August 2022, Video Encoder slider set at 20 produced a file size of 23,116,893,164 bytes
13th August 2022, Video Encoder slider set at 19 produced a file size of 24,761,630,002 bytes
I'm just guessing but it seems to me that either the video preset quality of 22 back in August 2020 running an earlier version of Handbrake has been downgraded and now needs to be set at 19 to obtain the equivalent quality; or an update to the Nvidia software caused a dramatic reduction in file size.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?