HandBrake crashes while trying to rip Bill and Ted Face the Music

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gregraven

HandBrake crashes while trying to rip Bill and Ted Face the Music

Post by gregraven »

Description of problem or question:

Trying to rip the RED 2 movie off of DVD. HandBrake gets to Chapter 11 (of 29) and starts slowing down. By Chapter 13, it finds a spot it cannot handle. The program freezes. If you Quit the program, it's still running behind the scenes, so you have to log out and/or restart to clear the baffles so you can try again. I've never seen this behavior before.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

- Insert DVD
- Launch HandBrake
- point HandBrake at the DVD
- tell HandBrake to Start
- wait for the disaster

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.5.1 (macOS)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

macOS Monterey (12.5)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/ztBMjLgJ
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Re: HandBrake crashes while trying to rip Bill and Ted Face the Music

Post by Lostless »

Handbrake can’t rip directly from commercial dvds. Try ripping with makemkv and send that file to handbrake.
gregraven

Post by gregraven »

That's weird. I've ripped dozens of DVDs using HandBrake. This is the first time this error has ever occurred.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

Handbrake hasn't been able to rip commercial DVDs in over a decade on its own. There was a plugin (libdvdcss) that could be installed that you may have installed years ago or copied from VLC, that can allow handbrake to read commercial dvds. But its old and has issues reading many newer copy protection methods. MakeMKV usually keeps up with the newest methods and outputs a MKV file thats an exact copy of the video file of the DVD, but in a MKV container.
gregraven

Post by gregraven »

I just tried MakeMKV and it did work on this DVD. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been using HandBrake for so many years I hate to part company. Time to check the alternatives, I suppose.
Lostless
Bright Spark User

Post by Lostless »

I think you misunderstand. You don’t have to abandon handbrake. Handbrake and makemkv are 2 programs with different goals in mind. Handbrake compressed video into h.264 or h.265. When you ripped dvds with it, it’s not the original file. It been changed into a different format with some loss in quality.
Makemkv is just a disk ripper. The file you get is an exact copy of the file on the dvd, minus all the menus and what not.
What you do is feed the mkv file into handbrake to get the result you did before. These 2 steps were merged into 1 step with the plug-in in handbrake. Using makemkv is skipping the old plugin and using makemkvs Superior ripping ability. But now it’s an2 step process.