Preset encode settings

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hoodie
New User

Preset encode settings

Post by hoodie »

I have been using HandBrakeCLI for some time. Generally, I use the Presets to keep the commands simple, e.g.

HandBrakeCLI -Z "Apple 1080p30 Surround" -i file.mp4 -o newfile.mp4

I know how to list the available Presets with
HandBrakeCLI -z

But I want to see what a particular Preset's encode command actually is. In previous versions of HandBrakeCLI, the actual encoding command settings a Preset uses was displayed below the Preset name when listing with the -z option. In newer versions, only the Preset name is listed.

How can I see the actual encode settings and switches a particular Preset is using?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Preset encode settings

Post by mduell »

The HB CLI string is not generated by any of the contemporary HB interfaces, so no.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Preset encode settings

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mduell wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:22 am The HB CLI string is not generated by any of the contemporary HB interfaces, so no.
That's not the reason though; the CLI --preset-list did use to print its own settings, but as the preset system became more complex and no longer part of the CLI itself, this is no longer possible (nowadays, a preset may correspond to multiple different CLI command lines depending on the source).