Encoding to ProRes

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
IceMajor

Encoding to ProRes

Post by IceMajor »

Description of problem or question: How do I encode to ProRes?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0): 1.4.2.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update): Win 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see )

Hi, I wanted to encode my videos to ProRes since I've got them in MPEG-4 AVC. I've heard it's useful to get better quality when there's a lot of effects put on the video + it's also more convienient when editing. However, I have no clue how to do it. I've been googling and messing around in the software itself, but I was unable to find the solution.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Encoding to ProRes

Post by rollin_eng »

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Encoding them again with a lossy codec isn't going to improve quality.

For convenience when editing you could use one of the Production presets in HB.
IceMajor

Post by IceMajor »

mduell wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:28 pm Encoding them again with a lossy codec isn't going to improve quality.

For convenience when editing you could use one of the Production presets in HB.
User on Reddit told me something else. He compared it to saving a .jpg file as .tiff. Even if you say, it's not going to improve quality, I'd still like to test it and verify on my own.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake doesn't encode to ProRes though.
rollrollcamera

Post by rollrollcamera »

Hi IceMajor,
You can use DaVinci Resolve (free version) to transcode your MPEG-4 AVC to ProRes. The big difference between ProRes and the file format you have now is that in ProRes there is no mathematical relationship from one frame to the next. Each frame is an images compressed on its own. Because of that, scrubbing a timeline in a video editor is super easy and fast. If you put your MPEG-4 AVC directly in the timeline, each frame is calculated according to what the previous ones were, in a group of picture (GOP) and that takes a lot of processing power, especially when trying to scrub backwards. The quality may or may not be better, depending on your settings, but the ease of use is worth the time it takes to transcode before editing.
You can watch a video on youtube on how to transcode your media in Davinci Resolve, it's very simple.