Process isolation - How does it work?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
T-buch

Process isolation - How does it work?

Post by T-buch »

I have installed version 1.4.2. Firewall warns me that "Handbrake is trying to connect to the internet"

I can understand that it is due to "Process isolation" function. I have tried to read the documentation for this https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... ation.html

Unfortunately, my know-how in this area is not great enough for me to understand it.
"this uses a small web server bound to 127.0.0.1."

Does that mean I send information and if so, what information? out of a port - unless I turn it off?
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Re: Process isolation - How does it work?

Post by Silent_Strider »

I said to my firewall, that Handbrake is allowed to communicate within the local system, that means not going outward, but reaching other processes via localhost at the same machine. That works flawlessly so far.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

127.0.0.1 is a loopback connection. So basically what happens is
HandBrake.exe spawns a worker process called HandBrake.worker.exe when encoding which runs a small webserver bound to 127.0.0.1. This allows the UI to communicate to the worker process.
That is only accessible on the local machine, not externally.
No data is transferred out. everything is local on the machine.

The only thing handbrake calls out to the internet for is for update checks. (Can be disabled in preferences or portable.ini)
It would show up as a call to https://handbrake.fr/appcast.x86_64.xml
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Post by Silent_Strider »

Though what the process isolation doesn't care for (at least I think so) is, how many ressources you have.

So if you transcode two blurays at the same time, both processes might try to take 100% CPU, effectively not making the process any faster.

used it only for transcoding multiple DVD movies so far.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Multi-instance only really helps with higher end CPUs with higher core counts. If 1 instance fully saturates, then running 2 will simply have 2 instances running slower. Does no harm but it's also not beneficial. CPU counts higher than 8+ are where you'll start getting payback from going 2 or more instances.

Windows will automatically split the load between the processes.

Process isolation by default only uses 1 instance.