Parameters to use

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AnonymousForever

Parameters to use

Post by AnonymousForever »

Description of problem or question:
Hi all, I recovered a very old family video from the 90s years, passing it from VHS to DVD, I don't know how to call the format in which it was converted, but it is one of those that inside the files are called VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS .BUP and VIDEO_TS.VOB.
The quality is obviously low and with defects in the lower part but that's okay ...
Now I would like to convert it to MKV format (if you think there is a more convenient format I accept advice), so that it is easily visible.
My question is: What parameters should I use especially in the Dimensions, Filters, Video and Audio tabs in order not to further lower the video quality?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Handrake 1.4.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 21H1

Thank you very much in advance.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Parameters to use

Post by mduell »

Given the limited source quality, probably better off with MakeMKV to just make a 1 for 1 copy inside the MKV container.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

AnonymousForever wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am Description of problem or question:
Hi all, I recovered a very old family video from the 90s years, passing it from VHS to DVD, I don't know how to call the format in which it was converted, but it is one of those that inside the files are called VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS .BUP and VIDEO_TS.VOB.
That's a DVD structure (just on your hard drive instead of an optical disc) ;-)
rachel
Novice

Post by rachel »

i had a similar situation a little while back. In my case I also knew the people who'd want to watch it would probably be doing so on their phones, so an mkv with mpeg2 576i in it would probably not be easily playable (not impossible, but necessary instructions too involved for the intended audience); so after mkvmerging it into a couple of actual video files, I did ultimately handbrake it to deinterlace it and make it phone-friendly. Obviously kept the original so i can try again with better software/settings later.
AnonymousForever

Rodeo wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm
AnonymousForever wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am Description of problem or question:
That's a DVD structure (just on your hard drive instead of an optical disc) ;-)
I understand, 1000 thanks, I'm complicating my life trying to understand the format... :-/
AnonymousForever

mduell wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:38 pm Given the limited source quality, probably better off with MakeMKV to just make a 1 for 1 copy inside the MKV container.
Yes, in fact, the quality of the source is very poor, but I didn't want to reduce it further with some badly set parameters.
I'll try with MakeMKV, even if I don't think I can easily notice differences.

Thanks a lot!!
roldogg
New User

Post by roldogg »

You could try running it through Topaz Video Enhance AI, which uses AI to increase the quality of the video. You'll never get it to look like a 4K HDR video, but you might be able to see some improvements using its algorithm, besides, all of the Topaz apps have a 30 day free trial so it never hurts to try.