Portable version requires additional installation files?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Meeonly
New User

Portable version requires additional installation files?

Post by Meeonly »

My older version of the portable version was all inclusive. I was able to install it on a non Windows 10 system drive.

After downloading the latest version I ran the portable exe file. HB then wanted to install additional network files on to my C drive. What is the purpose of the portable version when it' requires dependencies on other software?

As such, I found another the same portable version on sourceforge that doesn't require additionally installation files.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Portable version requires additional installation files?

Post by s55 »

HandBrake 1.3 and earlier requires .NET Framework to be installed (including the portable version). Later versions of Windows 10 happens to include this.

HandBrake 1.4 and later requires .NET Core 5 to be installed which is not included with Windows.
This is not included for security reasons. We do not issue updates frequently enough to cover the security updates that .NET receives so it's not bundled in the portable app.

Please note that you are downloading a 3rd party build from SourceForge so proceed with caution.