Therefore I've decided to transcode them to something more current, preferably H.265. I'm happy with the results using these settings:
- Size same as original, 720x576. Is there any possible benefit upscaling this? The aspect ratio is "wrong" anyways.
- Detelecine Off, Interlace Detection Default, Deinterlace Decomb, Preset Default.
- Framerate Same as Source, Quality RF 20, Profile main, Level 4.1 (I don't have older devices)
- Someone suggested Additional Options strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0:aq-mode=1
- 128 kBit AAC for audio, I guess that should be enough
Of course I could just play around with the settings and maybe find the best ones by trial and error. But because sometimes problems only show with certain content, I'd rather hear about some best practices before I transcode a thousand files or so.