Help: Cannot load VIDEO_TS files / WMP not playing DVDs

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
superflypandaguy35

Help: Cannot load VIDEO_TS files / WMP not playing DVDs

Post by superflypandaguy35 »

Hi, I downloaded Handbrake and DVD43 in order to copy DVDs onto my laptop but everytime I try to open the VIDEO_TS folder in the Source area, an error box pops up saying:

No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. Please refer to the FAQ (see Help Menu).

DVD43 was running at the time, but I don't really know how to run it. The instructions on the DVD43 website said that as long as the smiley face turns green I can run Handbrake... but nope

The DVD was in my CD/DVD-RW drive (Medallion). Why is this always happening to me! ahhh i hate life. Part of this reason is because WMP doesn't play DVDs anymore, a box pops up saying:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

This problem came up very very recently, like a couple of days ago. I used to be able to play DVDs no problems, but now... ahhh please help!
superflypandaguy35

bump
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

Need details. Read above link and copy/paste the relevant parts.
superflypandaguy35

sr55 wrote:http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

Need details. Read above link and copy/paste the relevant parts.
Detailed description of issue: Stated in my first post
Environment: Windows Vista
HB Version: 2.4
All Settings Used: ?
Interface: (Graphical, Command Line) ummm not sure
Architecture: (powerpc, intel, …) umm also not sure
Computer Info: 1.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram, CD/DVD-RW, 160 GB HD (95 GB left - Don't know how I lost that much in the first place...)
Operating System: Vista Basic
Source: DVD - The Medallion (released in 2001 i believe?) - no scratches
Analysis of the source: I tried playing it on WMP, but it no longer works as it states the error message I typed in my first post (as a matter of fact, none of my DVDs work on WMP anymore, so I use VLC Player) - Tried DVD43 and don't really understand how to work it
Intended Player/Device: iPod
Intended viewing environment: iPod
What I've tried/read so far: WMP, DVD43, Handbrake
Example PNG images can be found at this link: ??
Steps to reproduce this problem: ??
Verbose activity logging pasted below: ??

Hope that helps
superflypandaguy35

bump
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

WMP won't play DVD's out the box. It needs something Like WinDVD or PowerDVD installed to be able to play them.

Can't say I've personally heard of screen resolution being too high. Thats just rubbish. Might try google the exact error wmp gives you.

When the smiley face turns green, it means DVD43 has latched onto the disc.
When in handbrake its just a case of selecting "DVD" radio checkbox then Selecting teh DVD, hit the + and select the video_ts folder

If that fails, either the DVD is not correctly mastered/copy protected (beyond what DVD43 can handle) or it's not actually a DVD.

You could try DVD Decryptor and set its mode to ISO Write. You'll get an ISO and you simply select this by selecting file mode in the GUI.
    TheAce

Post by TheAce »

I am having a similar problem.
    I'm running XP home.
    Handbrake gives me the error message "No titles found. make sure you have a valid, non-copy protected source."
    I have tried both DVD43 and dvd decryptor. DVD43 did nothing. dvd decryptor was able to rip the video_ts folder to my HD, though not in ISO write mode because that is only for writing to a disk, or i have overlooked some setting to change it. handbrake would still not accept my video_ts folder after dvd decryptor ripped it to the HD.
    Calophi

Post by Calophi »

I was having this same problem exactly, but after I installed PowerDVD and tried again, it read my DVD just fine. So I think it's an issue involving your computer not having the right software to read DVDs, since your WMP won't play them either.
    DexterLab

Re: Help: Cannot load VIDEO_TS files / WMP not playing DVDs

Post by DexterLab »

1. I installed Handbrake 0.9.3 and I receive the following error when I try to open a dvd that is on my hdd
    "No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source.
    Your source may be copy protected, badly mastered or a format which HandBrake does not support.
    Please refer to the Documentation and FAQ (see Help Menu)."

2. I have reinstalled windows and all the codecs that I usually install, ex.: xvid, divx, avisynth, ffdshow.

3. I mention that somewhere in winter (last year 2008) I ripped the same movie with Handbrake 0.9.3,
    AND IT WORKED!, but for some reasons I deleted the ripped video because I ran out of space on my hdd.

What to do ? What the programmers behind Handbrake are doing to fix this stuppid error ?

P.S. I have PowerDVD installed, still Handbrake gives the same error message.
    P.P.S I attached the log file, hope that you will understand most of it, because I don't. I changed from the log only my Username the rest is there.

Code: Select all

### Windows GUI {hb_version} 0 
    ### Running: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 
    ###
    ### CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz 
    ### Ram: 2047 MB 
    ### Screen: 1024x768 
    ### Temp Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Local Settings\Temp\ 
    ### Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake 
    ### Data Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.9.3.0 
    #########################################

ERROR: The log file could not be found. 
    Maybe you cleared your system's tempory folder or maybe you just havn't run an encode yet. 
    Tried to find the log file in: C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Local Settings\Temp\hb_encode_log.dat

s55
    HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

For whatever reason, the GUI is not able to access the CLI executable.

Try this:
    Start Menu > Run > type:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -u -v
    What is the output of that?
    What the programmers behind Handbrake are doing to fix this stuppid error ?
    Nothing. This is a fault with your install / system, not HandBrake. I really don't care for that attitude.
    DexterLab

Post by DexterLab »

Hi, I tried the code that parameter and the output is nothing !

Then I also checked it manually:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> cd C:\Program Files\HandBrake -> HandBrakeCLI.exe -u -v

and still, the output is nothing !

What's the problem ?

You did not understand, I only reinstalled windows, not my whole computer !!!
    What is the reason of a non-operational CLI ?

Take a look for yourself!
    http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ot001x.jpg
    s55
    HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If you didn't get any popup error messages, I have don't know what the problem is.

I've never heard of this happening before. If I were to guess, I'd say it could be Anti-Virus/Security Software/System security related.
    Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

DexterLab wrote:3. I mention that somewhere in winter (last year 2008) I ripped the same movie with Handbrake 0.9.3,
    AND IT WORKED!
    What application did you use to rip the DVD back then?

Handbrake 0.9.3 does not rip copy-protected DVDs under Windows. You'll have to rip the DVD with another application and then open the VIDEO_TS with HandBrake.
    s55
    HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Rodeo - HandBrake is not even starting up, so the input source is not the problem.
    DexterLab

Post by DexterLab »

I eliminate from start the problem of "Anti-Virus/Security Software/System security related."
    because I have 2 antiviruses on my computer (I let you know that non of them is in taskbar or running on the same time, only bitdefender
    it running but it consumes very-low resources)
    1. Bitdefender v10
    2. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
    3. After downloading "HandBrake-0.9.3-Win32_GUI.exe" back in winter, I also created a CRC of it, and I let you know for your knowledge
    that the CRC it OK, it has not been modified by any virus(es).

So by eliminating all the facts it is remaining that the whole problem is HandBrake.

P.S. Also I have "HandBrake-0.9.2-Win32_GUI.exe" and the same error message I got from it like Handbrake 0.9.3.

"What application did you use to rip the DVD back then?"
    Only Handbrake 0.9.3, but I am telling you, the DVD on my hdd is old and it dont have ANY, I repeat it dont have ANY copy protection(s).

I also checked your forum and I read some very similar if not the same problem as me with Handbrake:
    http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10272
    http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9891

That is I am not the only one who have problems with Handbrake, check the damn source code!
    It has to be some exploit (!) in the source code of Handbrake, that's the only explication reasonable.

Think logically boys.
    s55
    HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

1. Those posts are completely different problems. They are faults with the source video, not a problem with the HandBrakeCLI interface not starting. Your source is not the problem. You can see in both cases, HandBrakeCLI is initializing correctly. This is not the case for you.

2. If there was a problem with the code, we'd see tons of complaints about this. Your the first (out of millions) person to have this problem.
    The HandBrakeCLI is not even starting up. Something about your system config or setup is preventing it.
    Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

s55 wrote:Rodeo - HandBrake is not even starting up, so the input source is not the problem.
    Oops, sorry.
    DexterLab

Post by DexterLab »

I also mention that I made a CRC of the DVD that is on my HDD, I made it also in winter.

I see that you guys have nothing more to say... sad.

I installed Kubuntu and from there I am able rip the dvd, I said before THAT THE DVD IS NOT ENCRYPTED, and it doesn't need to decrypt it. What OS do you have ? Windows XP ? Then install handbrake 0.9.3, install all the codecs that you want, made a dvd from an short .avi clip with a program (TMPEG, etc) and see for your self if you did not receiver the error message that I am talking about. OK guys ?

But repeat, don't try it on MACintosh and that, try on plain old Windows XP SP2.
    s55
    HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I really can't be any more clear. The fault does NOT lie with HandBrake. It lies with YOUR system.

You've proven this yourself: HandBrakeCLI - The encoder, is Not even starting. If an application is not running, how can it perform a task? If HandBrakeCLI can't run, the HandBrake GUI interface can't receive any of the source videos information. Hence the "No Title(s) found....." error.

Note, others receiving the "No Title(s) found...." error have shown that the HandBrakeCLI IS starting since it IS passing information back to the GUI.

As I've already said, your source has nothing to do with this problem. I don't know why you think that I think otherwise.

Millions of others, including myself, have been using this without this problem with every version of XP/2000 and Vista.

Locked since you seem intent on wasting people time (IRC)