M1 Pro crash

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
deemery

M1 Pro crash

Post by deemery »

Description of problem or question:
Hard operating system crash (repeatable) on M1 Max 16" MB Pro with a Blu-Ray DVD.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I stuck a Blu-Ray DVD into the external drive (did not close the tray.) That drive is connected via Firewire 800 to an Apple Display. The Apple Display is connected via Thunderbolt 2 to the Apple Thunderbolt 2 - Thunderbolt 3 adapter. That's plugged into my new M1 Max 16".

Launched Handbrake 1.4.2. Handbrake displayed "select source". I closed the DVD drive. The mouse froze, then the machine rebooted (no error/warning message like the 'system panic' message on older versions of Mac OS X.)

I've been able to read/translate Blu-Ray on my previous Intel MacBook Pro, including 1.4.2 a couple weeks ago. I wonder if the multiple conversions between the DVD player and the new M1 Mac is a problem. I CAN see the DVD in the Finder. I cannot rule out some unsupported DRM on that DVD. ("Steve Hackett, Selling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings")

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

HandBrake Activity Log for Session: 2021-11-06T22:20:13Z
Handbrake Version: 1.4.2 (2021100300)
[18:20:13] macgui: Handbrake Version: 1.4.2 (2021100300)
[18:20:13] Compile-time hardening features are enabled
[18:20:14] hb_init: starting libhb thread
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: M1 Pro crash

Post by Woodstock »

"Blu-ray DVD" Which was it? They are different formats. And the Mac handles them differently.

That said, handbrake cannot remove copy protection from commercial optical disks. While there are unsupported way of reading disks using 3rd-party libraries, there are know issues with making it work on the M1.
deemery

Post by deemery »

Well, I'm not sure how to distinguish between kinds of Blu-Ray DVDs.

A friend suggested using DiskCopy to copy the disk to my laptop drive, removing that chain of adapters. I did that, launched HandBrake, selected the disk image. Handbrake immediately crashed the laptop.

I'm OK if Handbrake cannot read the disk, but I am NOT OK if Handbrake crashes the laptop! That's definitely a bug in Handbrake, I believe (and probably a problem with Mac OS, too. No App should crash the entire computer.)

What I would have expected is for Handbrake to try, and then come back and say, "Cannot process this".
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If your OS is crashing hard, then HandBrake cannot execute code as it's operating in user-space, not kernel space so there isn't much we can do to tell you there is a problem. From the sounds of things, if it's not even getting to the scan, the crash is probably outside of HandBrakes code base entirely.

I'd wager there is a macOS/driver bug and I'd wager a 2nd guess it's related to that odd thunderbolt setup.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Visually, CD, DVD, BD, and UHD-BD look the same. Highly-focused lasers can see the difference, and the overprint should say what type disk it is.

Could you forego the use of the external display long enough to test plugging the drive directly into the laptop, to see if things change?
deemery

Post by deemery »

I have no way to plug the DVD directly into the laptop, I'd have to go through 2 converters (FW to Tbolt 2, Tbolt2 to Tbolt 3.)

Some fine print from the box: Blu Ray foirmat :B050, Regional Code A, B, C. Video format: 1080P

BUT, I tried VLC Player on the disk image that I produced using DiskUtility on my laptop's drive. Same crash. One thing I noted that VLC Player asked me to load Rosetta 2 before it ran. Is Handbrake 1.4.2 compiled for M1 as well as Intel?

So at this point I'm guessing the problem is deeper in Mac OS than just Handbrake. You are off the hook :-) :-)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

In any case, you'd need to use software like MakeMKV to remove copy protection from the Blu-ray before you can do anything with it using HandBrake.
extract

Post by extract »

I got the same problem om a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16", MakeMKV offers integration allowing Handbrake to rip a Blu Ray directly using its decoding libraries and it is a setting in MakeMKV, however any attempt at accessing a Blu Ray with Handbrake (1.5.1) results in kernal panic and MacOS crashing and you'll have to reboot. I have tried to grant HandBrake and MakeMKV full disc access in the Security and Privacy settings, doesn't prevent crash.