READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Please supply the complete log. Like dynaflash said, nothing you supplied states an error.

Also supply the settings you used (i.e Preset). You may want to start a new thread under support, cause at this time, this topic doesn't belong in this thread.
carmic191

cant rip

Post by carmic191 »

Babylon 5...3rd season disk 4
TD

Post by TD »

bhirt wrote:I have the exact same problem, but also good news. It seems that HB and MTR are crashing on the scanning of the disc. It appears the discs have some wonkey mastering, but I don't think it's copy protection. Anyway, here is what I did to successfully rip/encode. In MTR, turn Pre Scan off in preferences and you will be able to rip. Once you have ripped, you still cannot use the HB GUI because there is no way to disable the scanning. CLI to the rescue. Download the command line HB and you can rip each title individually. Trying to rip the entire disc in the CLI will crash too, so you have to do it once for each title. Here is the what I used to encode, you may want to use different options.
Okay, I've pulled the VIDEO_TS folder off of the disc with Fairmount, then tried that code with the Handbrake CLI. It works, sort of. What I end up with is six copies of the *same* episode - "Lisa Gets an A". What gives? Does anyone know? (and yes, I've changed the title number with each extraction).
Chico Azteca

Post by Chico Azteca »

im having problems with Final Fantasy 7 advent children, in I-pod

anyone else with this issue, i can rip it off but the video is horrible aqnd the sound is anoying
xlentjazmystersy

Post by xlentjazmystersy »

kevinbal wrote:Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time with disc 2 and 4 of the Simpsons season 10. 1 and 3 worked fine, but 2 and 4 just flat out crash both handbrake and mtr when trying to read the disc.

Think its copy issues or could they just be bad discs and I should return to Best Buy and try again? If anyone else is having problems, should probably get added to the list.
For The Simpsons Season 10 DVDs, I found a method that has worked perfectly. For discs 1 and 3, you can use Handbrake as normal, but for discs 2 and 4, you need to use MacTheRipper. Disable prescanning in the preferences before you rip, otherwise it will crash while trying to read the DVD. Under "Mode" choose "Title - Chapter Extraction", choose "Title 01 (Ang 1) 4:3" from the drop down menu, and make sure all seven chapters are checked to the right. Hit go and after a few minutes, a VOB file called "SIMPSONS_S10_D2 Title 1 (Ch1 - Ch7).VOB" will be put in a folder on your desktop. Drop this file into iSquint, choose "Optimize for TV", choose your quality settings, and you may want to choose "Deinterlace" from the advance tab, and then convert the file. This will give you an mp4 file! Of course this has to be done for every episode (Title 01 - Title 06 on disc 2 and Title 01 - Title 05 on disc 4), but if you rip all the VOB files first, and then drop them all into isquint for a batch convert, it's not that time consuming.
kayines

Post by kayines »

Hey everyone

I'm new here and I got a problem. I bought the Spider Man 3 DVD yesterday and I'm trying everything to rip this movie to my iPod Touch. I tried MacTheRipper, DVD Shrink on Win, DVD Decrypter on Win and I also tried to rip it directly with Handbrake on Win and on Mac. Nothing works! What else could I try? Do I really have to buy DVD2One or is there any other possibility?

Thx

kayines
alkey

Post by alkey »

I could not get BUG to work.. no matter what I tried? anyone experience this?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

alkey wrote:I could not get BUG to work.. no matter what I tried? anyone experience this?
Just watched a HB encode of BUG. worked fine. Fairmount/Dtox combo
whiteelephant

Post by whiteelephant »

Ratatouille won't encode.
Dreadnought

Second Disc of Two-Disc Sets Won't Rip

Post by Dreadnought »

I can't get the second disc of either Hamlet or Lawrence of Arabia to rip. Tried using MTR on both, but with the same results - the first 30 seconds rip, then Handbrake says the rip's done.

I tried using Fairmount and DTOX on Hamlet, Disc 2, but I got a reply that the disc was copy protected. Didn't even bother on Lawrence of Arabia.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

dynaflash wrote:
alkey wrote:I could not get BUG to work.. no matter what I tried? anyone experience this?
Just watched a HB encode of BUG. worked fine. Fairmount/Dtox combo
x2
Cavalicious

Re: Second Disc of Two-Disc Sets Won't Rip

Post by Cavalicious »

Dreadnought wrote:I tried using Fairmount and DTOX on Hamlet, Disc 2, but I got a reply that the disc was copy protected. Didn't even bother on Lawrence of Arabia.
If DTOX gave you that error, the you didn't properly mount the DVD with Fairmount.
exodar

Post by exodar »

whiteelephant wrote:Ratatouille won't encode.
To elaborate on Ratatouille, I can get a successful movie-only extraction with MTR 3.0 R14h and it has no Zero Cells. However, the extraction is 88 chapters and when you open that with HandBrake, it only sees 1-79. I am worried that this is some kind of cap in HandBrake and not a problem with the rip, but I cannot confirm this.

Can anyone chime in?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

HandBrake does not put a chapter limit on sources. I suspect its more likely HB is merging extremely short chapters.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

exodar wrote:To elaborate on Ratatouille, I can get a successful movie-only extraction with MTR 3.0 R14h and it has no Zero Cells.
I should also mention that I have *never* had good results running mtr main feature rips through HB. For whatever the reason HB does not like mtrs remastering on it main feature extractions. Which also means that it sucks that mtr full disk and/or fairmount/dtox solution do not work.

Just for kicks, maybe try running the main feature extraction through dtox movie only mode anyway (deselecting any zero cells if any), dtox may fix mtr mastering errors that HB doesn't like (its a long shot, but it wouldnt be the first time).
appleTvHandbrakeHappy

Post by appleTvHandbrakeHappy »

Ratatouille has a bogus Chapter 1 that causes Handbrake to quit after 30 seconds.

The movie itself starts on Chapter 2. I was able to rip with no problems by starting on Chapter 2.

-----

Dear Handbrake team: thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Handbrake + Apple TV = Happy DVD jukebox

(Did I say thankyou?)
exodar

Post by exodar »

appleTvHandbrakeHappy wrote:Ratatouille has a bogus Chapter 1 that causes Handbrake to quit after 30 seconds.

The movie itself starts on Chapter 2. I was able to rip with no problems by starting on Chapter 2.
Could you elaborate a little more on what you did? Did you do a movie-only rip with MTR (which version) starting at chapter 2? Did you use DTOX afterwards and start THAT at chapter 2? I would LOVE to see this movie work, but so far I got nothing.

Thanks...
exodar
Bear Hunter

Post by Bear Hunter »

Full disk rip with MTR (going to have to keep trying until it doesn't crash)...followed by HB will produce the results you are looking for.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Bear Hunter: I think I've heard that one before ;)

appleTvHandbrakeHappy: <--- Love the nick :)
exodar

Post by exodar »

Bear Hunter wrote:Full disk rip with MTR (going to have to keep trying until it doesn't crash)...followed by HB will produce the results you are looking for.
I am on 6 full disk rips now with MTR 3.0 R14i and it has crashed EVERY time...you SURE this is supposed to work?
Bear Hunter

Post by Bear Hunter »

Dyna.... getting tired of hearing it yet? :lol:

exodar...I got it to work and used HB to convert a perfect copy. All I can say is keep playing around with it. Completely shut down the program and eject the disk in between tries.
apollo8fan

Post by apollo8fan »

exodar wrote:
whiteelephant wrote:Ratatouille won't encode.
To elaborate on Ratatouille, I can get a successful movie-only extraction with MTR 3.0 R14h and it has no Zero Cells. However, the extraction is 88 chapters and when you open that with HandBrake, it only sees 1-79. I am worried that this is some kind of cap in HandBrake and not a problem with the rip, but I cannot confirm this.
Ditto here. I confirmed the encoded Handbrake video quit at exactly the end of Chapter 79 just as it thinks is the end (which it isn't).
Axorr

Post by Axorr »

OK - I STILL cannot get Open Season to rip to iPod format. Has anyone gotten this to work yet? I will jump through the hoops - I don't care what the steps are, I just want the darn thing on my iPod! Thanks in advance!
appleTvHandbrakeHappy

ratatouille - elaborated

Post by appleTvHandbrakeHappy »

Using only Handbrake, the latest stable release (0.9.1?), on an Intel iMac running OS X 10.5.0, I was able to successfully rip Ratatouille using the AppleTV profile, directly from the optical drive.

The only trick required is, after scanning the disk, change the starting chapter from 1 to 2.

This bypasses the bogus 1st chapter, which is not part of the movie, and, as far as I can tell, only exists to foul up ripping software.

Hope this helps. Sorry about the run-on sentences.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Hilarious, everyone else is using a bunch of advanced rippers, , rattling chicken bones, standing on one leg .... and this guy decides to just rip it right from disk with HB... Priceless!