Failed to Encode on only one chapter of my DVD-r

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
msscarymovie

Failed to Encode on only one chapter of my DVD-r

Post by msscarymovie »

I have a burned DVD-r of two short films I need to create an .mp4 or .m4v file for. The first is 27:06 minutes long and encoded without trouble. The second is 28:06 minutes long and has consistently delivered a "failure to encode". Under "title" there are are four chapters listed:

1 - 00:27:06
2 - 00:28:06
4 - 00:27:06
5 - 00:28:06

I have tried to encode 2 as well as 5, since those are both the correct length of the short film I need. I do not understand why there are two files, also.

Range is chapters 1-6, preset is Fast 1080p30, format is MP$ file with Align A/V Start and is "save as: FILENAME.m4v"

Re-creating the problem: I click Open Source and click on my DVD player and see two folders titled VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS and I clock "open" which completes a successful scan. When I select either 2 or 4, I get about ten minutes of scanning and a failure right at the very end.

Being perfectly up front, I'm absolutely awful with computers and understand nothing about coding. It took me 45 minutes to figure out how to post in here! I've been fiddling with this problem for 3 days now, I've consulted friends who use HandBrake regularly and they are at a loss, too.
Thank you in advance.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS Big Sur
Version 11.2.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/mNuLsM82
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Failed to Encode on only one chapter of my DVD-r

Post by Woodstock »

The errors in your log look like ones I used to get when I had a DVD-based digital recorder, and forgot to close a disk. There are numerous navigation errors, which could also be attributed to disk damage.

Can you copy the contents of the disk to a directory on your drive (retain the directory structure) without errors?
msscarymovie

Post by msscarymovie »

I believe I was able to do that just now. Should I try this file with Open Source instead?
msscarymovie

Post by msscarymovie »

Answered my own question. I took the file FILENAME.cdr and tried to encode and I still have a fail. Is it pretty much toast? I release old movies and this DVD is probably old, but what I can't figure out is why the first film on the disc encodes without a problem? I can try to get another copy but I get the feeling this was the only disc that the director had.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Maybe try MakeMKV?
msscarymovie

Post by msscarymovie »

In a backwards way, this was the key! I was able to get MakeMKV to create an MKV file, despite it not liking my disc very much. There was definitely some kind of error or degradation. It successfully put the file on my desktop, but wouldn't load into Premiere Pro! Hah. So, I did a file conversion to M4V in VLC Media Player and after hitting one more wall with compression, somehow managed to get in into my timeline. I can finally finish this project after a week of troubles. Thank you so much.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

FWIW, you could have used HandBrake to convert the MKV to MP4 too ;-)

VLC has somewhat similar transcoding capabilities, but its interface for it is rather limited, IIRC.