Can I download the preview images that Handbrake generates?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jmp111
New User

Can I download the preview images that Handbrake generates?

Post by Jmp111 »

Description of problem or question:
I am just wondering if I am able to download the preview images that Handbrake generates.It usually grabs some great shots that could cut down lots of time if I were able to export them!

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home
Deleted User 11865

Re: Can I download the preview images that Handbrake generates?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

There are saved to temporary files somewhere, IIRC. But cannot remember where, someone else will have to chime in.

They are deleted when you quit HandBrake, and also when you open a new source (which initiates a new scan). So There would still be a decent amount of manual work involved.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Since the preview images are low resolution, I would just render a short preview and grab the wanted frame.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Erm, no, they should be the source resolution. They may be downscaled by the preview window, but AFAIK, the actual decoded previews are not processed by libhb beyond converting the colorspace into whatever is expected by the GUI.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

If I remember right it’s an uncompressed frame grab, so they can be quite large in size.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Well, I looked in all the usual Temp, Application Data, and User AppData places, and I can't find them.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

musicvid wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:43 pm Well, I looked in all the usual Temp, Application Data, and User AppData places, and I can't find them.
This is a bit old so not sure if it still stands...

viewtopic.php?p=186034#p186034
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

They are actually stored in jpeg format (if using a nightly build) or YUV420 if using 1.3.3

If i recall correctly, the files don't have file extensions so you'd need to add them on.

hb.XXXX folders appear in the temp folder, but are typically short lived. So you can only get to them if you have an active file open in HB.

Out of curiosity, what do you use these stills for? They are a bit arbitrary in terms of what's selected for previews.