There seems to be a direct correlation between encoding using Handbrake and unstable ping on my system. When I start encoding, pings to my router (which should be <1ms) jump between 5-25 ms. After months of susing out the situation I found that it is Handbrake causing the issue when the process priority limit is set to "Normal" or above. The issue magically fixes itself when I set Handbrake below normal priority.
This sounds like an off-the-wall problem, as I can't figure out how Handbrake could possibly have any effect on network performance. Hence I am here asking for theories/solutions that don't require me to limit the process. Any help would be appreciated.
Handbrake is only using 60% of my CPU while encoding 1080p x265, 28 RF slow mode. (Though I've found quality settings never make any difference)
CPU: Threadripper 1950x 16-core
Memory: 64GB 2133 Mhz DDR4
Disk: SSD Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
The source file is located on a standard high performance HDD and the destination file is located on the above mentioned SSD.
Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Start encoding any resolution video file using x265, at any quality (I'm using between 28-26) constant with Handbrake set to normal process priority.
HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2 build 19042.685
HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
(log file too big for forum post)
Code: Select all