[NVEnc Encoding] Strange quality slider

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

[NVEnc Encoding] Strange quality slider

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Hello everybody,

Unlike the x264/x265 codecs that have an Encoder Preset Slider that goes from UltraFast to Placebo, the "H264 (NVIDIA NVenc)" slider is in this order :
- High Quality
- High Performance
- Fast
- Medium
- Slow

Does "High Quality" equal "Slowest" and "High Performance" equal "Faster" ? In this case it would be useful for us NVidia users to rename these presets to make them more clear. Thanks :wink:

PS : I know that hardware encoding doesn't give great results, I just use it to quickly transcode a video to a format readable by Sony Vegas without any quality requirement.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [NVEnc Encoding] Strange quality slider

Post by s55 »

HQ and HP are very likely identical to Slow and Fast. This is just how Nvidia presents the presets.

They've got a newer preset system that's more akin to x264 that we plan to implement next year sometime that's a little less confusing.

That said, the presets are not identical to x264 since the NVEnc encoder only supports a small subset of the features that x264 does for example. So don't assuming at RF20 @ Medium will be the same as x264. It'll be very different
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

That's clear. Thanks for your quick answer s55 :wink:
dr0

Post by dr0 »

s55 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:47 pm HQ and HP are very likely identical to Slow and Fast. This is just how Nvidia presents the presets.
Which one is the best quality-wise among these? Does this mean that medium is actually better that slow? Or are they all more or less the same?
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Hi dr0, if I understand s55 (correct me if I'm wrong), he meant that HQ is identical to Slow and HP identical Fast, so the actual quality Slider is more or less this :
- Fast = High Performance
- Medium
- Slow = High Quality
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

That's basically how it behaves on my system (older 1060)
dr0

Post by dr0 »

Okay, thanks for the explanation.