Video encoding for newbies

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Deleted User 47737

Video encoding for newbies

Post by Deleted User 47737 »

Hi, I'm new into this multimedia processing world, and I've been researching for all this stuff. Sorry for my bad english, greetings from Spain.
The thing is that I have a lot of DVD's and BD's ripped without reencoding (MakeMKV magic), and some of that DVDs are interlaced (PAL, 25FPS), and with a lot of analogic video tape noise. I want to encode the DVDs and deinterlace properly, and I'm very undecided to choose a deinterlacing method (Decomb Bob, Decomb EEDI2 Bob, etc.). And also I don't know what RF, profile, level, tune, codec... EVERYTHING. Sorry for being so ambicious and perfectionist.

That's the matter with the DVDs, the BD it's simple but I want a second opinion/explanation.

I'm running Handbrake on Debian on a Ryzen 5 3600 and RX 5600 XT.

Thank you so much.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Video encoding for newbies

Post by rollin_eng »

Most of this stuff is very subjective.

Start with a preset that matches your needs, then post if you have any issues.
Deleted User 47737

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:30 pm Most of this stuff is very subjective.

Start with a preset that matches your needs, then post if you have any issues.
I did that, but I want to custom that presets to get the most posible efficency in quality and size. And also to decide if is worth to encode SD and FullHD in HEVC or AVC.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

The presets pretty much get the most in efficiency, just adjust the encoder preset as slow as you can tolerate.

Do your playback devices support HEVC or AVC?
Deleted User 47737

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:00 pm The presets pretty much get the most in efficiency, just adjust the encoder preset as slow as you can tolerate.

I saw that the medium preset for x264 and x265 is good enough, and I'm don't want to encode so slow, and so fast. I want something in the middle (medium could be ok, but I want to see any other preset). And the main devices that I'm going to play that videos are PC, Smart TV and an Android device (but not so often).
Deleted User 47737

n0ct1s_tgz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:24 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:00 pm The presets pretty much get the most in efficiency, just adjust the encoder preset as slow as you can tolerate.

I saw that the medium preset for x264 and x265 is good enough, and I'm don't want to encode so slow, and so fast. I want something in the middle (medium could be ok, but I want to see any other preset). And the main devices that I'm going to play that videos are PC, Smart TV and an Android device (but not so often).
Do you think that medium is ok for everyone and every case of use?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

If it looks good to you, go for it.