Not so much 4K video compatible.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pbarker1701
Novice

Re: Not so much 4K video compatible.

Post by pbarker1701 »

I will give those settings a try. I use MakeMKV to do the initial burn into mkv from hard media.
I do transcoding into iTunes compatible m4v files with Handbrake, then go straight to AppleTV.
I tried using plex but it didn't handle TV programs properly for me (kept wanting to treat them as movies which made them a [Censored] to find).
For me, the simpler the interface, the better and plex was anything but simple.
I have been using a different program for transcoding 4K UHD mkv files into mp4 because of the time and quality issues I've been having with Handbrake.
My only issue with that program is it has hit or miss subtitle handling.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it try and let you know how it goes.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

pbarker1701 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:57 am I will give those settings a try. I use MakeMKV to do the initial burn into mkv from hard media.
I do transcoding into iTunes compatible m4v files with Handbrake, then go straight to AppleTV.
I tried using plex but it didn't handle TV programs properly for me (kept wanting to treat them as movies which made them a [Censored] to find).
For me, the simpler the interface, the better and plex was anything but simple.
I have been using a different program for transcoding 4K UHD mkv files into mp4 because of the time and quality issues I've been having with Handbrake.
My only issue with that program is it has hit or miss subtitle handling.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it try and let you know how it goes.
I use makemkv as well.
For the ATV4k, set your video format to 4k SDR. Then turn on match framerate and match range.

Your plex wasn't configured correctly as it's mixing tv shows and movies. You have to have them in their own folders. And then set one plex folder to the tv show folder AND tell plex that's tv shows in that folder. Then it only lists them as shows and grabs the correct metadata for them. You also have to have the correct folder structure and naming conventions.
I have a tv shows folder for my current shows. A saved tv folder for shows i've watched but want to keep. A folder for kids movies. One for all 1080 movies and another for all 4k movies. Works flawlessly. I've run plex for over a decade on both several PC's and macs. No issues.
I have my tv show aspect of it all automated too. But we'd have to take that discussion elsewhere.

I really don't think your issue are the transcodes. I think it's something related to playback.

What is the model number of your AVR? Your TV? How do you have everything connected? What cables are you using?

I do have screenshots of my handbrake settings I can post but I need to figure out image hosting first as what I was using previously is no longer working. But I start with the Matroska 2160/60 preset and then edit that and save as my new profile. For subs I have it burn in forced subtitles only. I don't keep separate sub files. For audio I keep the original HD audio track only.
I have it auto crop. And use MKV. So I only really edit the video tab.
Video Codec: h.265 10bit
Framerate: same as source - Variable framerate
Encoder preset: fast
encoder tune: none
encoder profile: main 10
Advanced options: strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0
Constant quality: 18 for 1080, 16 for 4k. I'll sometimes tweak this depending on file size or what i'm encoding.
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

I have a current ATV 4K 64Gig. I've tried it both 4K HDR and SDR, both with match frame rate and match range.
Didn't seem to make any difference.
My TV is a Samsung 4K 58", circa 2019.

I wish iTunes recognized mkv format but it doesn't so I have to convert to either m4v via Handbrake or to mp4 via a different transcoding program.
My biggest issues with Handbrake right now is that it tends to wash out the colors when it converts a 4K UHD mkv file.

Doesn't the Matroska preset 2160/60 just go from one mkv file to another? That won't do much for me since I need iTunes compatible files.
I will also occasionally copy the movie file onto either an iPad or a Windows laptop, so those formats all have to play nice with each other, which typically means m4v or mp4.
I'm trying a test transcode of Marvel's The Avengers (my favorite movie to test with because I can tell right away about color issues and the subtitles show up about 15 minutes into the flick, so I don't have to do the whole film to find out if it will do what I need.)

I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks for all your help so far.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Have you tried remuxing rather than converting your video?
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

I'm going to try a second session with the additional setting you gave me and see how things turn out.
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

Not sure how to do remuxing.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

pbarker1701 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:22 pm I have a current ATV 4K 64Gig. I've tried it both 4K HDR and SDR, both with match frame rate and match range.
Didn't seem to make any difference.
My TV is a Samsung 4K 58", circa 2019.

I wish iTunes recognized mkv format but it doesn't so I have to convert to either m4v via Handbrake or to mp4 via a different transcoding program.
My biggest issues with Handbrake right now is that it tends to wash out the colors when it converts a 4K UHD mkv file.

Doesn't the Matroska preset 2160/60 just go from one mkv file to another? That won't do much for me since I need iTunes compatible files.
I will also occasionally copy the movie file onto either an iPad or a Windows laptop, so those formats all have to play nice with each other, which typically means m4v or mp4.
I'm trying a test transcode of Marvel's The Avengers (my favorite movie to test with because I can tell right away about color issues and the subtitles show up about 15 minutes into the flick, so I don't have to do the whole film to find out if it will do what I need.)

I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks for all your help so far.
The issue is most likely that itunes doesn't support what you're trying to do. Which is why you should ditch itunes. You can setup plex server faster than it takes to download and install. It's very easy. And would help with troubleshooting. Even if only for a single movie. You could even play directly to plex on your samsung to bypass everything and see how it goes.

Also for the purpose of testing, leave the apple tv video format at 4k SDR.

Handbrake isn't washing out the colors. The washed out look is due to something not supporting HDR. Probably itunes. Or something in your video chain.

We'd need to know the model of your TV and AVR(you did say you have a AVR?) and how it's all connected. Not everything supports HDR which might be the issue.

Have you watched other content on your ATV4k? 4k with HDR? Such as netflix(with the 4k plan) or amazon or something else? Any issues there?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You could just remux your files into a mp4/m4v container without converting them.

XMediaRecode, ffmpeg and mp4box can do this I believe.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

It’s my understanding that HB does not support HDR due to the 8 bit pipeline.

Perhaps a dev can confirm/deny?
archer75

Post by archer75 »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:38 pm It’s my understanding that HB does not support HDR due to the 8 bit pipeline.

It works. I have hundreds of 4k encodes that all have working HDR.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

archer75 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:54 pm
rollin_eng wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:38 pm It’s my understanding that HB does not support HDR due to the 8 bit pipeline.

As HB has an 8 bit pipeline I believe you are not getting “true” HDR.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

rollin_eng wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:51 pm
archer75 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:54 pm

As HB has an 8 bit pipeline I believe you are not getting “true” HDR.
triggers HDR on my TV. I've done comparisons against the disc. It certainly looks "true". I can't see a difference.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Can't tell the difference tells you how little 10 bit/HDR really is worth. It's more style than capability for most users.
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

Since you asked, my AVR is a Sony STR-DH790, which does support 4K HDR10.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

pbarker1701 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:21 am Since you asked, my AVR is a Sony STR-DH790, which does support 4K HDR10.
and you've played other 4k videos with HDR through the ATV connected to that Sony without issue?
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

Just completed my first test using the setting you gave me and it worked PERFECTLY! Took about 14-15 hours for a full transcode but the picture quality is excellent and the subtitles are exactly where they should be. Am doing a second test with another 4K UHD film (The Martian) and will see how that goes tomorrow when it's done.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Mahalo!
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

Just finished checking out The Martian - Extended version. Colors are great. Subtitles show up exactly where they should be. Much smaller file then what
I had previously as well. I expect the same results with the Theatrical version.

Once again, thanks a bunch for your help.

Now I get to re-do ALL my 4K films. Given the amount of space I'll get back, it will be worth it.
lazyjss

Post by lazyjss »

would you mind sharing your encoder settings? i also would like to shrink my 4k hdr library a bit.
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

These are the setting I got courtesy of user archer:

Matroska 2160/60 preset, change format to MP4.
Dimensions - auto crop.
Leave filters as is.
Video Encoder - h.265 10bit
Framerate - same as source, variable framerate
Constant quality - 18 for 1080, 16 for 4k.
Encoder preset - fast
Encoder tune - none
Encoder profile - main 10
Advanced options: strong-intra-smoothing=0:rect=0
Audio - original HD audio track only (usually TrueHD aka Dolby Atmos, or DTSHD)
Subtitles - Forced Only.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

pbarker1701 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:19 pm These are the setting I got courtesy of user archer:
This is why you shouldnt listen to strangers on the internet...

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/work ... ality.html
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

I'm running a comparison test between an RF 16 and an RF 22 to check for video quality and size differentials.

Am also testing fast vs ultrafast transcoding speeds as well. Wondering what the trade-offs are.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

pbarker1701 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:28 pm I'm running a comparison test between an RF 16 and an RF 22 to check for video quality and size differentials.

Am also testing fast vs ultrafast transcoding speeds as well. Wondering what the trade-offs are.
The trade-offs will be size and or quality.
pbarker1701
Novice

Post by pbarker1701 »

Have you used the ultrafast speed? Any significant difference in transcoding speed?
archer75

Post by archer75 »

rollin_eng wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:23 pm
pbarker1701 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:19 pm These are the setting I got courtesy of user archer:
This is why you shouldnt listen to strangers on the internet...

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/work ... ality.html
I've read that article and I would argue it's just plain wrong. I've done extensive testing using a variety of values until what I came up with is indistinguishable from the original source.
Using the values recommended on that page results in files that are noticeably worse quality.
But of course, use whatever you want.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

pbarker1701 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:35 pm Have you used the ultrafast speed? Any significant difference in transcoding speed?
Yes, its faster :)