install question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
leopardson

install question

Post by leopardson »

Description of problem or question:

I'm have several PCs along with different users at the office.

Is Handbrake software tied to a specific PC or can it be associated with a user's login account?
In other words, if I have 2 PCs and 4 users, can I just install 2 Handbrake software (and licenses) (where each user can log in independently to use Handbrake) or should I obtain 4 licenses (1 for each user as they log into a PC to use Handbrake)?

Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: install question

Post by s55 »

HandBrake is free and open source software. It’s not payware and there are no license keys. Can install it on as many machines for as many users as you like.

If someone is asking you to pay for HandBrake, it is likely a scam.

What gave you the impression that you needed licenses?
Rorchach91

Post by Rorchach91 »

Lmao, HB is so famous & sometimes became the synonym of "Video files converter/ encoder"

One of my friend has installed & paid for a converter names "[Removed Dubious Product Reference]" or "Win video converter", anyway I forgot the name is, and ask me if I am using different version of HB.

So I can understand that
leopardson

Post by leopardson »

Thanks actually to clarify, we understand Handbrake is open source and free.

I was trying to figure out if the software is tied to a PC or can it be associated with user logins (e.g., like subscription based services Adobe CC etc.).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not tied to a user or PC. Just install and it's available to everyone on the box. There's also the portable version that can be placed anywhere on the system at which point, you control the access rights.

We don't do anything janky like installing in the user profile. Just a standard c:\program files\HandBrake affair if you use the installer.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Given that there is an almost identical message posted on the MakeMKV forum, I think someone may have been caught up in a license audit at some time.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We get this kind of thing quite a bit woodstock. Just uncommon to see on the forum so I've been assuming people have been getting conned somewhere.