HandBrake quits after 14 frames on some titles

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
milo47

HandBrake quits after 14 frames on some titles

Post by milo47 »

Description of problem or question:
Have ripped all eight DVDs of "The Durrells in Corfu" (produced by Acorn, purchased from Amazon). All titles of all discs play in VLC. Now trying to Handbrake all titles to reduce to 18% of ISO size. Of 9 titles from 2 discs for Season 1, 7 transcode correctly, but 2 (one from each disc) quit after 14 frames. Using Legacy > High Profile settings, outputing to MKV wrapper. Previews for both failed titles transcode correctly. Including below Pastebin URLs for activity logs for both failed titles and both successful previews. Never used Pastebin before - hope this all works! Thanks in advance for the incredible work that you folks do for the rest of us.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
See above.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.2.0 (2018121700)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7 Pro with all End-Of-Life updates installed.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

01.01.preview
https://pastebin.com/iN0YGfsL

01.01.failure
https://pastebin.com/cw2zTp7E

01.04.preview
https://pastebin.com/wTFBGVzz

01.04.failure
https://pastebin.com/uqSzsj6M

DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Re: HandBrake quits after 14 frames on some titles

Post by DrXenos »

The first thing I would do is install a much more modern version of HandBrake.

When this sort of thing happens to me, the first thing I try is to disable LibDVDNav. If that doesn't work, I extract the title with MakeMKV, and transcode that.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

What did you use to remove the encryption and create the ISO file?

It seems to have had some difficulties reading the disk, so the image contains invalid data. When the DVD library encounters the invalid data, it is treated as having hit the end of the title.

I'd second the recommendation to rip with MakeMKV, so you would at least have better error diagnostics.
milo47

Post by milo47 »

DrXenos,

HandBrake reports latest version for Windows (HandBrake-1.2.0-x86_64-Win_GUI).

Disabling LibDVDNav and re-transcoding with HandBrake resolved both titles. Most excellent!

Woodstock,

Decryption by AnyDVD HD, ISO by CloneDVD2. Unaware that MakeMKV could rip DVDs. Have only used it to concatenate fragments from Blu-ray obfuscation. It's preferred while CloneDVD2 is deprecated? Please advise.

Thank you both for timely and helpful replies.

Before we close this issue, obvious question: why not leave LibDVDNav permanently disabled?

As always, thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake reports latest version for Windows (HandBrake-1.2.0-x86_64-Win_GUI).
Sounds like the update checker is maybe being blocked then. 1.3.3 is the current release.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are DVD authoring schemes that decode better with one or the other, hence the choice. The default works "most often".

It becomes moot when you go to ripping software like MakeMKV. With actual ripping software, the authors put a LOT of time in to making sure they work with known copy protection schemes. Things like coming up with updated firmware for drives to make them more cooperative with extracting UHD video. The handbrake team cannot dedicate resources to that sort of thing.

You may have MakeMKV confused with MKVToolnix; they are different tools.

AnyDVD is usually pretty good about removing encryption. It should NOT be necessary to make an ISO as an intermediate step, though; it adds another possible failure point.

My workflow is MakeMKV to make MKV files of disks I receive, handbrake to encode those on their way to network server.
milo47

Post by milo47 »

OK. This is all helpful.

1. Will no longer rely upon HandBrake update checker. Another monthly chore.

2. Still wondering whether to permanently disable LibDVDNav. Any downsides?

3. One fundamental problem is correlating titles (from HandBrake or BDinfo) with useful names for featurettes and episodic TV show numbers. For DVDs, I make ISOs, play them with VLC, notate title lengths (or intro scene descriptions), then correlate them with HandBrake. For BDs, I just make WAGs... based upon intros or evaluation of content. For both DVDs and BDs, I could run optical discs in physical players... but isn't there an easier way? This is mostly a DVD problem... which is why I've been making intermediate ISOs, which Woodstock deprecates.

Thoughts?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The update thing may be a separate problem that was mentioned a few months ago - prior to v1.3 of handbrake, the update checker used TLS v1.0, I believe it was, and the download servers won't accept anything below TLS v1.2 anymore. No connection = "no update found".

In v1.2 handbrake (and later), Preferences->Advanced, there is a checkbox to disable LibDVDnav, forcing libdvdread to be used. Downside is there are actually more disks that will fail to read.

A substitute for the ISO->VLC workflow I use is to simply tell MakeMKV to rip anything longer than 30 seconds (it defaults to 120), and use VLC to skim through the results fairly quickly, deciding what to keep/toss. I'm not much on watching "extras" more than once.

Downside on all of this is when you encounter disks authored by Lionsgate. Finding the correct title to rip is usually difficult. I avoid dealing with it, for the most part, but the MakeMKV forum has a lot of people who dig through and find the right play lists to rip. DVDFab is supposed to be pretty good at finding them, MakeMKV not quite so good.

The key thought in my process is to not get handbrake involved until I've figured out what I want, because encoding is SLOW, compared to ripping.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

milo47 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:17 pm Before we close this issue, obvious question: why not leave LibDVDNav permanently disabled?
Because the alternative (ibdvdread) can't handle angles.

DrX
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Because dvdnav allows reading discs where dvdread alone fails. Overall, dvdnav is a bit more reliable.
milo47

Post by milo47 »

Upgraded to 1.3.3. Legacy High Profile has disappeared: could manually adjust video to get that back. After trying to transcode several more discs, 1.3.3 just seems unreliable (quits with no explanation, regardless of LibDVDNav): 1.2.0 (or any other previous version) has never failed like that for me, so will revert to 1.2.0. Disabling LibDVDNav has been necessary for most of these older DVDs.

This has been an interesting learning experience. Thank you all for your input. Closing this thread now. Be safe, you'all.