'More Settings' Field Disappears When Using Hardware Encoders

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
metaldave

'More Settings' Field Disappears When Using Hardware Encoders

Post by metaldave »

I'm running Ubnuntu 20.04 with HandBrake v1.3.3.

It seems that selecting the Nvidia NVENC H.264 and HVEC hardware encoders will make the More Settings field disappear. Is this a known issue?

Another user reported the same issue with the use of the Intel QuickSync hardware encoders.

The current documentation indicates we should have the ability to add the options via the GUI, but the doc also states:
Experimental Linux support is available in HandBrake’s command line interface
I'm guessing we can try incorporating them at the command line, but, in my mind, that defeats the usefulness of Handbrake (versus using FFmpeg directly).
Deleted User 13735

Re: 'More Settings' Field Disappears When Using Hardware Encoders

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The options available to you are limited to the ones on the hardware, and may not include everything. There just isn't another layer of options.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The text field should be available nonetheless.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

musicvid wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:57 pm The options available to you are limited to the ones on the hardware, and may not include everything. There just isn't another layer of options.
The HandBrake documentation has a list of the available options for NVEnc.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Rodeo wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:05 pm The text field should be available nonetheless.
Agreed; This is the first version that I've seen where the More Settings field disappear when selecting a Hardware Encoder. I don't know if this is something with the Linux port, the version (1.3.3 x86_64), or what. Seems like a bug rather than a feature.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It's there in Windows, so I suspect you are right.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

musicvid wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 pm It's there in Windows, so I suspect you are right.
Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't loaded Windows to check, but I'll take your word for it.

Do I need to submit some type of bug report, or have I effectively done it with this post?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's been raised a number of times in the last year or two. It's actually not a bug but just not implemented due to a lack of developer interest / time. Patches are defiantly welcome
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

s55 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 amPatches are defiantly welcome
:shock:
Deleted User 11865

:D
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

s55 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:26 amIt's been raised a number of times in the last year or two. It's actually not a bug but just not implemented due to a lack of developer interest / time. Patches are defiantly welcome
In the spirit of defiance, I'd love to help in any way I can. I'm surprised the Linux port would have a difference. Are each of the builds separate development trains? I'm just curious how to patch this (if it's a matter of comparing the code, etc.).

On a related topic, I also wanted to ask about the Video meta data. Whether Windows, Mac, or Linux, it seems the hardware encoders (NVENC, QSV) do not add the Encoding Settings attribute to the Video stream output. This would be really helpful to determine what settings were sent to the encoder. Is this a known issue, related to a particular build, etc.?
Deleted User 11865

It's a feature of the software-based encoders (x264, x265) only. It's bitstream-level metadata.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Each Platform has it's own dedicated UI. The linux is a GTK ui and the code is on GitHub.

It's probably not a particularly complex change.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

s55 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 pm Each Platform has it's own dedicated UI. The linux is a GTK ui and the code is on GitHub.

It's probably not a particularly complex change.
Might be a perfect opportunity for me to use my limited programming skills and dip my toes. :)

I'd also like to contribute to the documentation in a similar manner. Is there a similar process?
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Rodeo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:14 pm It's a feature of the software-based encoders (x264, x265) only. It's bitstream-level metadata.
Thank you for the clarification; I'll make sure to output the logs with each encode for reference.