Does MediaInfo provide enough info to duplicate HB settings?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ckronengold
Novice

Does MediaInfo provide enough info to duplicate HB settings?

Post by ckronengold »

Description of problem or question:
Does MediaInfo provide enough info in their Encoder Settings to duplicate / create a HB preset?
I'm looking to compress my UHD discs for network playback on an nVidia Shield.

Looks like a lot of these could be dropped into the Advanced Settings, since I don't see many of these in the standard Video tab. Or would I be better off using the CLI for this level of customization?

For example: " frame-threads=4 / numa-pools=24 / wpp / pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1600 / interlace=0 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=8 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=40 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=32 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=4 / tu-intra-depth=4 / limit-tu=4 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=4 / limit-refs=1 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=5 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-3:-3 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=0 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.80 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=-2 / crqpoffs=-2 / rc=crf / crf=18.2 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.30 / pbratio=1.20 / aq-mode=3 / aq-strength=0.80 / no-cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=1 / chromaloc-bottom=1 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,0) / cll=1000,510 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.00 / hist-threshold=0.01 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr10 / hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qpconformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Does MediaInfo provide enough info to duplicate HB settings?

Post by Woodstock »

Short answer: No

Long answer: Many of the things in your example are not important enough to have GUI elements for good reason; tweaking them does little good, and most are defaults for the encoder anyway.

If you're trying to get "better HDR on the Shield", you cannot tweak handbrake settings to do it, because handbrake isn't capable of HDR output at this time. If you're trying to get Dolby Vision working on it, the lack of HDR breaks that, too. And there are problems with DV on the Shield, too; there are multiple topics about getting DV to work, over on the MakeMKV forum, and the Shield is one of the more uncooperative targets.

Unless you know what you're doing, selecting one of the 2160p presets is your best bet. Only go shopping for "fixes" when you determine there is something to fix. And realize that the people who created those presets know a lot about exactly what the settings do, and chose the ones they did because they were pretty good for most sources.
ckronengold
Novice

Post by ckronengold »

Thanks, Woodstock.

Two minutes after posting, I remembered that HB doesn't support HDR. Which, of course, makes my question moot. But I was curious what people might have to say.

I completely understand not having those features in the GUI. No reason to build features for .01% of the userbase. My projector doesn't support DV anyway, so I wasn't chasing that either. Just HDR10 and/or HDR10+ if it worked.

I copied those settings from a remux that I had from a group known for quality. I compared the encode to the remux last night on my projector and didn't see any difference. So I was more curious if cutting-and-pasting into the Advanced Settings would work for my discs. I'm happy to reap the benefits of other people doing the tweaking of the settings, especially the ones that I don't understand.

I did notice that those settings were pretty different from some of their other encodes, so I was hoping that I could use the consistent settings across all of the titles as a baseline. But like you said in your short answer......No.

Thanks for the quick reply, and as always, thanks for all your work.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You'd want to screen out all the settings that are the defaults, or groups of non-defaults that are captured in a preset or tune.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You quoted x265 settings only. That is a small part of what Handbrake does. I don't know where you got those x265 settings, but they are nonsensically inflated. Looks like someone is trying to emulate 160Mbps CBR in a CRF 18 encode, kind of a poor man's XAVC-I, even if HDR was supported.

Code: Select all

vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 /
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

musicvid wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm You quoted x265 settings only. That is a small part of what Handbrake does. I don't know where you got those x265 settings, but they are nonsensically inflated. Looks like someone is trying to emulate 160Mbps CBR in a CRF 18 encode, kind of a poor man's XAVC-I, even if HDR was supported.

Code: Select all

vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 /
160Mbps is the level 5.1 high tier cap, so they're targeting that playback constraint.

CRF 18 generally isn't going to get you up to 160Mbps on 4K content, so it won't be anywhere near CBR.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I'm happy to reap the benefits of other people doing the tweaking of the settings, especially the ones that I don't understand.
Be careful what you wish for. In this case, unless you are streaming, you have sacrificed some important peak bursts, by 25%.

Off topic, of course.
An interesting side effect of making vbv-bufsize equal to vbv- maxrate, rather than being larger, is that the range of values is forced closer to the theoretical output bitrate. I think this choice was deliberate in this case, and possibly misguided.
Attachments
bufsizecomp.png
bufsizecomp.png (39.16 KiB) Viewed 678 times