Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Ray - Encode Al or Just Sound?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jblagden

Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Ray - Encode Al or Just Sound?

Post by jblagden »

Description of problem or question:
I just bought the Blu-Ray set of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The files are smaller than I expected, weighing in at 5.3 gigabytes. I'm uncertain as to whether or not it would be worth the time to do full encodes via Handbrake or if I should just use FFMPEG to convert the audio instead. Is it worth the time? Or are these files already as small as they can be without sacrificing quality? If I should encode via Handbrake, should I go with the usual RF 18 quality setting? Or should I go lower?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Ray - Encode Al or Just Sound?

Post by Woodstock »

If you do a HQ encode, the files will probably be under a gig in size; I typically have 400-600mb per 24-minute anime episode, at RF=20.

But run tests - you will probably find you cannot tell the difference between RF=18 and RF=20 on a typical viewing setup.
BradleyS

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Ray - Encode Al or Just Sound?

Post by BradleyS »

Animation is cleaner and less complex than live action, making it easier to compress, hence the smaller files. That said, any compression artifacts may be more readily apparent for the same reasons.

In general, you can probably reduce RF by 2 to compensate. So if you were using 18, try 16 for animation that seems to compress well.