Chapter Numbers as Subtitles

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DrDisgruntled

Chapter Numbers as Subtitles

Post by DrDisgruntled »

Description of problem or question:

Whenever I encode a video file, one of the entries in the Subtitle menu shows the chapter number only (e.g., "Chapter 1"). This entry is always there, regardless of how I configure the Subtitle settings or even if I completely clear the settings. I have looked through the help file, the forums, and the settings and can't seem to find where I can change this? Does anyone know what I can remove this from my subtitle menu?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.2.1 (2019021700)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 7 Professoin 64-bit (v6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Chapter Numbers as Subtitles

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

In MP4, chapters markers are a special kind of text track. Some players do not support that track correctly, the solution is to use different software for playback or to encode without chapter markers.
DrDisgruntled

Post by DrDisgruntled »

Rodeo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:03 pm In MP4, chapters markers are a special kind of text track. Some players do not support that track correctly, the solution is to use different software for playback or to encode without chapter markers.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I turned off chapter markers and that subtitle entry was removed from the file. But since I want chapter markers, I guess I'll just have to live with it being there.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What software are you using for playback?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If your source is DVD, one way I have "fixed" this is to have the FIRST subtitle track defined as "forced only", which will usually result in an empty track. The playing software selects the empty track, and leaves the chapter track alone. This lets me have chapters for players that understand MP4 chapter text tracks, and "nothing shown" for the stupider players.

Which reminds me, I was going to create an empty SRT file I could use dealing with Bluray sources for MP4 files...
DrDisgruntled

Post by DrDisgruntled »

Rodeo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:32 pm What software are you using for playback?
VLC
DrDisgruntled

Post by DrDisgruntled »

Woodstock wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:51 pm If your source is DVD, one way I have "fixed" this is to have the FIRST subtitle track defined as "forced only", which will usually result in an empty track. The playing software selects the empty track, and leaves the chapter track alone. This lets me have chapters for players that understand MP4 chapter text tracks, and "nothing shown" for the stupider players.

Which reminds me, I was going to create an empty SRT file I could use dealing with Bluray sources for MP4 files...
I use MakeMKV to rip the movie, then Handbrake to encode it into a smaller container. But what you're suggesting is not a bad idea that I may have to try.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It's also useful when you have disks with no "forced" subtitle track (only signs and foreign audio), and you do not want to see the full set of subtitles by default. The full subtitle track is used as the second track.

If you're using the CLI, the flags would look something like this:

Code: Select all

--subtitle 1,1 --subtitle-forced=1