General Observations

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MHHMHH

General Observations

Post by MHHMHH »

Description of problem or question:

High Temperature of cpu - Dell Latitude 6520 laptop. I am interested in how users attempt to fix this problem. I have tried the affinity settings (changing the number of cores to two but I still get notifications from Core Temp.
The only thing that seems to work well is using Handbrake on my MacPro with two processors and 16 gigs of memory in its Windows mode. I have tried a laptop cooler (Havit) that sits under the laptop but it doesn't seem to provide enough cooling.
Are there some other techniques to try?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Win 10 64bit laqtest

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

This is just a general question so I have no log.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: General Observations

Post by s55 »

It's fairly normal for laptops to run at 90~100C when running HandBrake as the cooling solutions are rarely sufficient for the CPU's that are in them.

You should be seeing significant clock throttling on the CPU and this is normal design behaviour in this kind of thermal environment.

Affinity + Maximum battery mode might help but other than that, there isn't an awful lot you can do.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Use Intel QuickSync if you've got it; not as efficient as the software encoders but way lower power usage.
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

I've been in touch with Intel and my processor (Intel core i7 2760QM has Quicksync.
How do II go about using software that incorporates Quicksync? The preferences in Handbrake are grayed out for quicksync.

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Need the info from the activity log for that. Thus the bold underlined red text on a pink background at the top of the page.
Christmazz

Post by Christmazz »

I've been a long time lurker here and have seen heat related problems posted a few times and I signed up just to offer a suggestion I found that works well on my laptop.

If you are running Windows, go into power options and select "Change Plan Settings" then "Change Advanced Power Settings. When the small window pops up, scroll down to "Processor Power Management" Under the "Maximum Processor State" change setting from 100% to 98% or lower.

Using HB x265 10-bit 1080p encoding this drops my CPU Temp from about 80 Degrees C to about 60 degrees, Clock Speed from 3.1 to 2.5, Power usage from 45 watts to about 25 watts.

Of course encoding speed will drop but not that much for the cooling I get. I run encoding in the bedroom and if I don't want to hear the CPU fan all evening, I drop the setting to 85% and the fan slows down significantly. I have not noticed any issues with the end result encodes but If someone here knows better and suggests I probably shouldn't be doing this because if could effect the encoding process, If what I'm doing isn't a good idea, by all means, let me know! :)
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

Thanks for that info. I went to the power management and decreased the setting to 90%. This has reduced the temperature in core temp by about 15C, which is significant.
When I look at the preferences I still don't get the opportunity to use Quicksync. I know my processor is enabled for it, but how can I get Handbrake to use it? And will it be any better?
Thanks
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

I just looked at Core Temp again. The maximums are running at about 90C, still below what they were - no notifications.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

MHHMHH wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:44 pmWhen I look at the preferences I still don't get the opportunity to use Quicksync. I know my processor is enabled for it, but how can I get Handbrake to use it? And will it be any better?
Still need that activity log that keeps coming up...
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

Your suggestions about power management worked very well. CPU core temperatures have dropped considerably. I am, however having a problem with DVD Flick. With very short test mp4 and an associated srt file, DVD Flick encodes to a DVD format properly. With long (movie length) mp4 video and associated srt files, DVD Flick get to where it is insertin subtitles, and then stops responding. At that point I cannot access the web, use taskmanager, etc, and the only thing that gets my laptop working again is a reboot, which is available.
I have run diagnostics, sfc and dism. All report no problems. A ny ideas?
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

I realize that my comments are a little off topic, but I've tried DVDFlick in compatibility mode - it still does not work. At this moment I'm trying what seems to be its Win 10 equivalent, AVSDVD. For what i's worth, I'll pass on the result.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

DVD is pretty old tech. Most people have left it behind, why do you need to create a DVD?
MHHMHH

Post by MHHMHH »

I have a number of older friends with old flat screen TV that won't take flashdrives, but they do have DVD Players which use DVDs. Alas, some of us are geting older - my latest win 10 has its own problems with older software that does not run in compatibility mode.