H265 NVEnc - Win vs Linux

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Valso

H265 NVEnc - Win vs Linux

Post by Valso »

Is there any particular reason H265 NVEnc is available for the Windows version but not for the Linux version? Is there any way I can make Handbrake in Linux use GPU conversion? Like an additional library or something?

HB version is 1.3.3 (the one currently on the website), if it matters.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: H265 NVEnc - Win vs Linux

Post by Woodstock »

Because the pieces needed to make NVENC work are not often present on Linux installations. There have been reports of people getting it to work on Linux by building it themselves, but not many. Same with AMD support.
Valso

Post by Valso »

There's a little development on the matter I'm passing by to mention - in case someone else encounters that problem.
1. On the website it says there is H265 NVEnc support and that it can be found under the video tab. I thought it was the video tab in preferences but as it turned out moments ago, it was the video tab under output file settings, not preferences. I think it's worth mentioning that on the website.
2. A friend of mine told me he got his NVEnc appear under video tab of output file settings only after installing both handbrake and handbrake-nvenc (the latter is from AUR) and then removing handbrake-nvenc. I did the same and the GPU conversion codec did appear in the list of codecs when setting the output file. IDK if that's a bug or a fluke but that's how I got NVEnc and fortunately now I won't have to run Windows again. :mrgreen:
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The HandBrake version in the AUR repository is not supported by the HandBrake team. Sounds like they've done something dodgy there.

The main thing to make sure is a recent proprietary nvidia driver is installed.
Valso

Post by Valso »

s55 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:08 am The HandBrake version in the AUR repository is not supported by the HandBrake team. Sounds like they've done something dodgy there.

The main thing to make sure is a recent proprietary nvidia driver is installed.
I know what AUR is. The thing is that after installing the package from AUR, NVEnc appeared in the original Handbrake and I already used it - 14.5 GB shrunk down to 3.9 GB in 25 minutes with the quality of the 14.5 GB file. :mrgreen:
I can finally kick Win's [Censored]! :lol:
After I saw NVEnc appeared in the original handbrake, I removed the AUR package and NVEnc remained present in the original handbrake. This is exactly like pamac's case: pamac won't start if you don't install pamac-aur & pamac-classic first (in that order) After that both can be removed and pamac will still work.
My point is that IDK what the users did or didn't but the AUR package appears to be a "helping hand" in making NVEnc show up in the original handbrake.