Low Qoality on Nvidia NVEnc

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tahir40
New User

Low Qoality on Nvidia NVEnc

Post by tahir40 »

Description of problem or question:

Hi. I choose the highest quality with Nvidia NVenc H265 (Main 6.2 slow) and it's nowhere near standard H265 Main 4.0 fast setting.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

when I play the video I can see big difference, NVEnc settings has lower video quality althouh I use highest encoding settings with the same bitrate.
So I wonder is this normal?

AMD R5 3600
Asus RTX2060
2*8GB ram
MSI B350 Tomahawk

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Win10 64bit up to date.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Low Qoality on Nvidia NVEnc

Post by s55 »

So I wonder is this normal?
It's Normal.

NVenc generally requires a fair bit more bit-rate to achieve "good" results. Probably more so on h264. I've not seen the results from turing cards yet myself but from what I've heard, it's not living up to the marketing of the improvements in the encode engine.

Also, post logs of software vs nvenc so we can make sure you didn't accidentally change any other settings.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Low Qoality on Nvidia NVEnc

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

Can't really be sure what you did without it. Nothing you mentioned is an actual quality setting.