WTV. (Windows Recorded TV Show) file - is there anyway to convert it to make it looks good on TV through USB?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Gio21stri

WTV. (Windows Recorded TV Show) file - is there anyway to convert it to make it looks good on TV through USB?

Post by Gio21stri »

Description of problem or question:
I have this raw tv episode recording (WTV.) - to watch it on TV i have to convert it - the only tool to read these files is Handbrake, but no matter what settings i choose - lossless, h265 or h264 codec, decomb or denoise - result always looks worse than original when watching it on TV through usb - its pixelated (on PC result looks great - same as source).
Is there anyway to convert to look its like original while watching it on TV (maybe another tool for that or settings)?

Here is this episode , if you maybe want to try it by yourself (while watching on tv - look at woman black jacket at very beginning - its pixelated as hell, also audience too)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Li3Vd ... /view?usp=...

You can compare it with same episode but from other source - this look a lot better on tv that WTV. converted file when you compare it back to back
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H6E5AT ... /view?usp=...

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 pro

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/rRuCkWji
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: WTV. (Windows Recorded TV Show) file - is there anyway to convert it to make it looks good on TV through USB?

Post by Woodstock »

Are you sure your TV isn't the issue? If the result looks fine on a computer with a good video decoder, but the picture randomly breaks up playing through the TV, that's usually a sign of the decoder being overwhelmed, OR being under-fed by data. Most decoders will sacrifice the video before the audio (that's relatively low bandwidth anyway).

For 1080 video, using h265 is not gaining you much, other than making the decoder work a lot harder.

Oh, and your hardware/software looks like it can handle a current version of handbrake. Why are you continuing to use 0.10.5?
Deleted User 13735

Re: WTV. (Windows Recorded TV Show) file - is there anyway to convert it to make it looks good on TV through USB?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Since it's broadcast recording, run the file through the Quickstream Fix utility in VideoRedo. There is a trial version.
Gio21stri

Post by Gio21stri »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 am Are you sure your TV isn't the issue? If the result looks fine on a computer with a good video decoder, but the picture randomly breaks up playing through the TV, that's usually a sign of the decoder being overwhelmed, OR being under-fed by data. Most decoders will sacrifice the video before the audio (that's relatively low bandwidth anyway).
So you say there is no way to make it looks like original while playing on tv?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I'm going by what you say and what's in your logs; your settings are reasonable for a conversion, and the converted file looks good on computer playback.

Do you have a way to use the TV as a computer monitor, and see how it looks using the computer to do the decoding?
Gio21stri

Post by Gio21stri »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:56 pm Do you have a way to use the TV as a computer monitor, and see how it looks using the computer to do the decoding?
i dont see how it helps? it will just display what computer shows.
its strange how i can compare 2 same files on pc and first file looks better, but same files on TV - second file looks better.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If it does, that means the decoder in the TV is the problem. If it is, I'd suggest encoding with x264 instead of x265, select slow or very slow, with the "fast decode" option, to reduce the work the TV has to do for playback.
Gio21stri

Post by Gio21stri »

Where do i select "slow or very slow"?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Video tab, "Encoder Preset", move the slider to the RIGHT to go for slower encoding options. It's right above the "Fast Decode" check box. It's not necessary to go all the way to "Placebo"; there are reasons that level has that name.
Gio21stri

Post by Gio21stri »

i tried it but it gives same pixelated result, only file is 3 times bigger