Bitrate Setting for Apple TV only

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mrfett

Bitrate Setting for Apple TV only

Post by mrfett »

so... what are people using for ripping to Apple TV format? we should be able to go higher than 1500 now, right?

also, do you have to set the framerate? i read somewhere that the "Same as source" setting is bugged. do we need to manually set this for movie rips?

thanks for any info you guys can provide.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

The appleTV is definitely on our radar screens here I have one on order and as soon as it arrives, we will be working on new settings that will work well with it. Right now, all we can do is speculate. So it makes more sense to wait until we have one in our hands and can test on it. But, be sure, we will be all over it as soon as it arrives.

But, there are some logical assumptions one *might* make. Any iPod compatible settings should be just fine. I cant see framerate being an issue, I personally will be suprised if HB's Same as source wont work.

The large question for me, is whether higher resolution movies especially in h.264 will require any special modifications at encode time. For instance the video format for the ipod 640 x (xxx) is basically just h.264 video however there are several internal things required to be compatible with the iPod including a special "uuid atom" to tell iTunes to allow it to be transferred to the iPod. This uuid atom requirement was only discovered through actually testing movies on an iPod.

So, with that in mind, we will have to wait until we get one and make sure our output is compatible with appleTv until we officially announce our output compatibility.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Topic stickied.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

For helixomnimedia. http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337

I'd wait about 2-3 weeks and in the meantime enjoy the outside or some other activity. As has been said, no one knows "exactly" to recommend. That seems to be the thrust of your post, and the gazillion other such posts here (mine too!) and elsewhere. Patience.

But that's not to say you can't play around and experiment and learn what effect some settings have, but be advised if you prefer to be spoon-fed, you stand a very real chance of never using optimum settings nor understanding what anything does or why. Video compression remains a frontier endeavor, and will for some time to come.

1) 2) 3) 4)
I'm not going to touch any of those questions. The main reason, apart from having no real preferences myself yet due to lack of experience, is because it's my belief that there NEVER is a "best" for everyone. That's why there are choices.

6) De-interlacing. Out of the scope of this thread. I started yet another "de-interlacing thread" just for you (and me) here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1933#1933
mrfett

Post by mrfett »

lol so none of you guys have made a first "test" file to try when you get it? something over 1500kbps? i'm thinking native dvd size, 5000 kbps. that'll be my test of "uber" quality.

i'm not looking for gospel truth here, but we should all be able to make some educated guesses.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mrfett wrote:lol so none of you guys have made a first "test" file to try when you get it? something over 1500kbps? i'm thinking native dvd size, 5000 kbps. that'll be my test of "uber" quality.

i'm not looking for gospel truth here, but we should all be able to make some educated guesses.
Sigh. Of course the AppleTV can handle greater bitrates than 1500. That isn't the point. As dynaflash already explained, we simply have no way of knowing what extra header information the device might require. He has one pre-ordered, and of course we plan to test it with various settings. And native dvd size might very well not work. We simply cannot know if the device will respect maurj's anamorphic .mp4 in quicktime patch until they're on the market.
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

Apple's catchphrase for the AppleTV is:

If it's on iTunes, it's on TV.

So one might think that, if it plays in iTunes now, it will play on AppleTV later.

I've seen no reason to think otherwise, but only testing will show for sure.
Glassman

Post by Glassman »

I have been told by Apple that if it will play in Front Row, it will play on Apple TV. All Apple TV is is Front Row modified for TV.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

When you use the new export for AppleTV function in QuickTime on a 720x404 DVD file, you get a h264 .m4v file with a bitrate of 2400 kbs. Audio is AAC stereo 44.1 kHz 128 kbs, framerate the same as the original.
This is much better than iPod export, so hopefully the AppleTV will accept HandBrake'd files with these settings.
I did a movie of 1:50 duration and ended up with a 1.85 GB file.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

Glassman wrote:I have been told by Apple that if it will play in Front Row, it will play on Apple TV.
Sounds like you might have an inside scoop; I don't recall reading that claim anywhere else.
Glassman wrote: All Apple TV is is Front Row modified for TV.
Now, that I've read. But it always struck me as more conjecture, based on the similar appearances on-screen.
ugp

Post by ugp »

What I was told by someone from Apple is that if iTunes plays it, AppleTV will play it.

Because FrontRow will play AVIs but iTunes won't...
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

Glassman wrote:I have been told by Apple that if it will play in Front Row, it will play on Apple TV. All Apple TV is is Front Row modified for TV.
That is so not true. cause Frontrow can play anything that quicktime can play. u just install the respective codecs. I watch my xvid movies in frontrow. but you will NOT be able to play xvid on Apple TV.

By default Frontrow can play only Mepg4 and H.264, same with Apple TV
Frontrow is extendibles via quicktime. Apple TV isn't

btw Apple Quicktime has a Apple TV exporter. you can check the ending bitstream
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

MySchizoBuddy wrote:That is so not true. cause Frontrow can play anything that quicktime can play. u just install the respective codecs. I watch my xvid movies in frontrow. but you will NOT be able to play xvid on Apple TV.

By default Frontrow can play only Mepg4 and H.264, same with Apple TV
You do realize XviD is just a really good MPEG-4 ASP encoder, right? QuickTime can play it the same way it can MPEG-4 ASP from libavcodec or anything else. You just have to put it in an .mp4 instead of .avi. Afaik it even plays on the iPod. So of course the Apple TV will play XviD. It just probably won't play .avi.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

iPods won't play ASP, as far as I know. They wouldn't when I was trying to force interlaced support.

Rodney