How to contact HandBrake developer re Min Screen Size Req?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rob00

How to contact HandBrake developer re Min Screen Size Req?

Post by rob00 »

Hi,

I love Handbrake! I used it many times before. To fully take advantage of the multi-threating, I finally got a QuadCore CPU, and downloaded the latest HandBrake release, only to be stopped by the minimum screen size requirement of 1024 x 768. HandBrake will not run with my screen of 1280 x 720.

Why this arbitrary screen size requirement? How do I contact the "developer" to lower the requirement to 1024 x 720 ? I don't have the programing skills to do this myself.

The reason my computer screen is 1280 x 720 is because my LCD TV monitor is 720p, like many other LCD widescreen TVs. I watch all my movies on my LCD widescreen TV, and unfortunately it does not support 768 pixels natively, only up to 720. I wish I could afford the 1080p LCD TVs to meet the requirement.

Anyways, is there a way around this? or can future releases have support for 720p? there must be many other users using 720p monitors who would love to use HandBrake without having to switch the monitor resolution to 1024 x 768 (which looks horribly bad on my 720p monitor).

I imagine the 1024 x 768 requirement seemed modest enough, and it was just as easy to fit everything to that screen size. but couldn't 1024 x 720 fit everything in the screen as well?

Thank you for reading my post. Please contact me if you have any suggestions or solutions (other than just setting my screen resolution to 1024 x 768, which is not natively supported by my monitor).
rob00

Post by rob00 »

PS: I am using HandBrake 0.9.1 on Windows XP Home.
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

The minimum resolution required is hard coded.
You either download, modify the source and compile (not that hard with some guidance).
Or you can wait for a dev to modify the GUI minimum requirements - although this will mean waiting for the next release and might not happen at all.
rob00

Post by rob00 »

is there a developer who can do this? I am kind of confused re developers, since there is not a single developer, yet there are official releases. who and how do i contact the developer/s to request this modification?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Done. Code change in the SVN. Will be released in next public

Resolution limit set to 1024x720. The reason it was at 768 was because I follow standard monitor resolutions used.

If you feel adventurous you could compile your own exe:
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3040

It's really not that difficult. Just beware that development builds may be a tad buggy but should be usable.
rob00

Post by rob00 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you ! ! !