Wrong file format

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ProLab

Wrong file format

Post by ProLab »

Description of problem or question:

I try to remaster a video in order to be able to share it on our e-learning system, but when the exportation process ends the file results to be a data file and not a mp4 file.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

In the Summary tab I choose the preset for "Fast 720p30", "web optimized" and i select the mp4 format.
Then I go to the Video tab and I select framerate 30 (or 20 in some cases) and codec H.264 (x264).
At last I go to the Audio tab and select codec AAC (CoreAudio) without changing any bitrate option.
Then I just click on the conversion starting button and when the bar is completely loaded I go check the file and that is not a video.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Wrong file format

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

It sounds like in naming the file in the destination field, you've removed the file extension. Add .mp4 and that should solve the issue.

Of course, this is merely speculation since the required log was not provided.
ProLab

Post by ProLab »

Ritsuka wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 pm HandBrake Activity Log ***required***
I was not able to find it even following the guide, I’m sorry 😓
BradleyS wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:51 pm It sounds like in naming the file in the destination field, you've removed the file extension. Add .mp4 and that should solve the issue.

Of course, this is merely speculation since the required log was not provided.
That was the exact problem, naming the file correctly the issue is solved. Thank you!