Convert .mov files

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
DracuLizzie
New User

Convert .mov files

Post by DracuLizzie »

Description of problem or question:
I have some audio files from years ago, can't remember why but they are in .mov format. They will not open in Quicktime, iTunes, VLC, nothing! So I tried to use Handbrake to convert them into ANY other file format just to hopefully get them to play somehow. But Handbrake won't recognize them at all, it does nothing when I try to open it under thew File menu or when I drag and drop... I also tried to use several of the file converting websites, but they just gave me error messages.

If there's nothing to do in Handbrake... does anyone know of any other app that may possibly convert it? Or at least just be able to PLAY it?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

No activity because the app will not response to the file dropped in.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Convert .mov files

Post by Woodstock »

You might give the CURRENT version a try; there are some fixes for recognizing damaged files.

As for "won't respond", have you tried asking handbrake to open the file, rather than using "dragon droppings" mode? It could be as simple as handbrake doesn't have access to the file when you drop it.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Convert .mov files

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Download MediaInfo and post the file details.